Mini pond advice

Colly

Wobbler
I have a clear plastic box (15 litres ish) on the windowsill which has been supporting pondweed and a significantly larger pond snail population that it had over a year ago before we went into lockdown. As I was on furlough it was pretty much neglected apart from an occasional water top up. I usually let the tap water sit for 24 hours before pouring it in. I tested the pond weed today and it is still photosynthesising. My question is: are there any simple steps I can take to keep it in good order and continue to support the pond snail population. (one or two large snails and many tiny ones)?
Thanks all.

I have exactly the same thing. I put some daphnia in it months ago - probably September and they're thriving. I occasionally top up with distilled water but apart from that I just leave it. It seems to do ok without my intervention. It's survived both lockdowns so I'm not going to tempt fate by changing anything. Yours seems to be doing ok too so I'd probably just leave it as it is if I were you :)

General advice is these things don't need much in the way of nutrients etc. I started mine off after finding some "instant pond" pills (never seen outside of an ACME cartoon) and an unused tank. Pondweed seems to like the set up so far...

I'd be tempted to use distilled rather than tap water, or you'll gradually increase the amount of minerals in there, especially if you're in a hard water area.

I have a clear plastic box (15 litres ish) on the windowsill which has been supporting pondweed and a significantly larger pond snail population that it had over a year ago before we went into lockdown. As I was on furlough it was pretty much neglected apart from an occasional water top up. I usually let the tap water sit for 24 hours before pouring it in. I tested the pond weed today and it is still photosynthesising. My question is: are there any simple steps I can take to keep it in good order and continue to support the pond snail population. (one or two large snails and many tiny ones)?
Thanks all.
Please can you tell me if you have additional lights over your tank or is the sunshine providing enough light? We tried pondweed in a tank on the windowsill but it died after a few days.

I've got pondweed in a tank in the prep room with a very bright light on it and and air pump, looks like the pondweed is gonna be dead by the end of the holidays :(

Ours lasts reasonably well in a tank in a fairly shaded corner of a lab, with no additional lighting but there is aeration. I find the biggest problem is the snails in the tank like to munch on it.

Please can you tell me if you have additional lights over your tank or is the sunshine providing enough light? We tried pondweed in a tank on the windowsill but it died after a few days.
My tank is near, but not quite on a windowsill. The lab is relatively warm and it gets direct sunshine in the mornings. Not much aeration, as the pondweed is producing a lot of oxygen at the moment - it is aerating the lab rather than the other way round. When you first transfer pondweed, it won't like the idea of direct sunshine immediately, it needs a day or two to adjust to its new environment before settling in and getting to business. Ours has just started putting out either roots or flowers. Will find out after Easter, I guess, assuming it lives that long.

I took our stock of pondweed home at the start of lockdown last year (someone had just brought me a stash from their garden pond ready for the up-coming required prac.........). I chucked it into one of those plastic trugs in our back garden and it's been there ever since! It gets the morning sun, and all I have done maintenance-wise is top up the water every now and then if it hasn't rained for a while. It's thriving :D

I'm not a biologist so I can only relate my experiences with trying to keep pondweed in a tank.
It seems that pondweed doesn't like direct sunshine and prefers coolish water. Watch out for small snails that are attached to the pondweed because they will eat it all - as mentioned in a previous post. I've always left tap water out for 48 hours to let the chlorine content evaporate out before using it to top up the tank. Having said all that my success with keeping the stuff in tanks hasn't been that great.
We used to have an outside home-made pond and the pondweed thrived in that (with no maintenance whatsoever). I remember noticing that the pondweed sunk below the surface when the sun was out at midday and came back up again in the evening.