Microwave Kit not working

Hi I was hoping for some advice, our microwave kit has sudenly stopped wroking. It was fine when I checked it on Thursday but when the teacher tried it in class on Friday it wasn't working. I've checked it this moring and it deffiantly isn't working, It's getting power to the transmitter but nothing is coming out from the receiver, have checked wires and meters ect everything else is working.

Does anyone know how to check if it's the Transmitter or Receiver not working?

It's quit an old kit would we be able to replace just the non working unit or would we need to replace both this is not a cheap peace of kit.

Thanks

Which kit is it? Pictures of your setup might help us identify the issue.

If it's one of the old Unilab ones, something that threw me before I was familiar with it, is that for some reason the amplifier for the receiver has two power switches, one on the top and one on the side.

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
You need a second receiver to confirm the emitter is at fault. That may be bacuse the teacher put too high a supply voltage across it. Or it could be the receiver, one of our teachers put 12V across it and it died instantly.

You can buy either receiver or emitter independently

They are really old Unilab one's they don't have any switches, they are just plug and go ones. I only gave the teacher a 12V power supply so he couldn't have put a higher voltage accross it. To be honest they have been using them in labs with the higher voltage power packs for years without breaking them and our power packs are not that reliable with the power reading on the gauge so I'd have though they would have been distroyed long before now if they where that sensative.

Attachments

• 20210315_103500.jpg
    20210315_103500.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
  • 20210315_103433.jpg
    20210315_103433.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
I have this kit.
Does the White ceramic bit on the TX get hot?
I'm not sure what it does, but my working unit gets quite warm.
I use mine on 10V , but I've had it on 14V and it survived.

Hi I was hoping for some advice, our microwave kit has sudenly stopped wroking. It was fine when I checked it on Thursday but when the teacher tried it in class on Friday it wasn't working. I've checked it this moring and it deffiantly isn't working, It's getting power to the transmitter but nothing is coming out from the receiver, have checked wires and meters ect everything else is working.

It's quit an old kit would we be able to replace just the non working unit or would we need to replace both this is not a cheap peace of kit.

Thanks

Thanks
Do you have a probe detector or just the horn receiver? I tried to make Schottky diode/LED detector but the diodes are difficult to get hold of and the Dipole is really short.

Thanks
We have a hand held RF monitor, this isn't the company we bought it from, but they do sell it. It can be used for standing waves as well.

Perspective Scientific A080 Magnetic Field Emission Detector​

I think it's very unlikly the teacher who used this pluged it in the wrong unit he's actualy quit compitent and has used it recnetly with out any propblems.

We only have the horn receiver unfortunatly. Which I guess means we can't test it.

I think it's very unlikly the teacher who used this pluged it in the wrong unit he's actualy quit compitent and has used it recnetly with out any propblems.

We only have the horn receiver unfortunatly. Which I guess means we can't test it.
Anyone near you that could test it for/with you over the Easter break?
I'm a bit far away (Liverpool) and not likely to be heading South any time soon.

Hi folks,

Marie and I work in the same school hence me replying this time...

We're looking at possible replacements and just noticed that SLS currently have a 10% off offer til the end of the month. Does anyone have this https://www.science2education.co.uk/product/SE2010061 (and the associated transmitter, but the catalogue doesn't have a pic of that!)? We're assuming one microwave transmitter and receiver is pretty similar to another but wondered if anyone's got experience of this specific brand.

(We also need a new autoclave and if we make the decision and purchase via SLS this week we can just about afford both!)

EDIT: also can confirm that the teacher who used it knows what he's doing and is unlikely to have killed it!

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
I've never had a problem mix and matching the Blue horn unilab type with later models by other makers.

I'm not sure if that would work going back further to the Klystron type black ones which were much more powerful but I think it would, pretty sure they are all 2.8cm wave. (Usually called 3cm wave)