Microscopy Animal Cells (Cheek Cell Demo)

Morning all, can I just check if anyone is doing the cheek cells demo?
It's not sitting well with me but the teacher seems to think it okay.
Thank you!

CLEAPSS have it amongst their inadvisable activities section:

11. Inadvisable practical activities
CLEAPSS believes that by following the advice in this guide the overwhelming majority of science practical activities can be carried out safely, albeit with very strict controls in place. However, given the continued uncertainty around the rate of infection in the general population and the rapidly developing understanding of COVID-19 and its pathology it would be prudent, as a precautionary measure, not to attempt the following activities:
  • Cheek cell sampling
  • Lung volume / capacity & other breathing based activities
  • Activities which make use of saliva
  • Activities which make use of straws or other equipment for blowing through e.g. blowing through lime water or using a musical instrument which you blow into to create a sound

we have teachers doing it in front of the class as a demo showing the process of creating the slide using a visualiser and then showing the slide using a camera attached to a microscope projected onto the whiteboard. They are then putting the swab and slide in virkon. They are also cleaning their demo bench before and after. This seems okay to me though I am using extra strength virkon and leaving it for several days.....

we have teachers doing it in front of the class as a demo showing the process of creating the slide using a visualiser and then showing the slide using a camera attached to a microscope projected onto the whiteboard. They are then putting the swab and slide in virkon. They are also cleaning their demo bench before and after. This seems okay to me though I am using extra strength virkon and leaving it for several days.....

This is exactly what the teacher wants to do BUT I'm with the majority and CLEAPSS.

Next week is our first full week of class practicals - just demos up until then. Some of the first requests I got were for class sets of cheek cell slide making! Seriously, on what planet do they think it's ok for pupils to go grovelling around in their mouths and wipe it on a slide for the minion to clear away??:rolleyes::rolleyes: Oh yeah I forgot there was pandemic going on :laughing: Like most technicians I appreciate the need for practical work and know it's value and there may be safer alternatives but as far as I'm concerned, technicians are more vulnerable than most after touching so many different things that have already been through countless pairs of grubby hands. For once I'm looking after myself as well as everyone else so any unnecessary risks are being avoided.

Next week is our first full week of class practicals - just demos up until then. Some of the first requests I got were for class sets of cheek cell slide making! Seriously, on what planet do they think it's ok for pupils to go grovelling around in their mouths and wipe it on a slide for the minion to clear away??:rolleyes::rolleyes: Oh yeah I forgot there was pandemic going on :laughing: Like most technicians I appreciate the need for practical work and know it's value and there may be safer alternatives but as far as I'm concerned, technicians are more vulnerable than most after touching so many different things that have already been through countless pairs of grubby hands. For once I'm looking after myself as well as everyone else so any unnecessary risks are being avoided.

I'm going to be putting my foot down! If it's not safe -it cannot be done otherwise it'll be mask, gloves and quarantine!

Keep safe.

I worked with a teacher who used to have the kids stick a piece of Sellotape across the inside of their wrist, put a couple of drops of methylene blue on a microscope slide, then stick the Sellotape over the dye.
I never looked at any of the slides, so not sure how good it is, but their were no coverslips to put out and clean up either.:thumbsup::microscope:

CLEAPSS have tweeted about using supermarket pig liver instead of cheek cells to make animal cell slides - there's just a picture at the moment and no method yet...... I guess a protocol will follow..... :microscope:

CLEAPSS have tweeted about using supermarket pig liver instead of cheek cells to make animal cell slides - there's just a picture at the moment and no method yet...... I guess a protocol will follow..... :microscope:
No real method required just take a cotton bud and rub it around on the liver then precede as you would for cheek cells.

I worked with a teacher who used to have the kids stick a piece of Sellotape across the inside of their wrist, put a couple of drops of methylene blue on a microscope slide, then stick the Sellotape over the dye.
I never looked at any of the slides, so not sure how good it is, but their were no coverslips to put out and clean up either.:thumbsup::microscope:
That one is...was, a regular here.