Microscopes

We have been given some money to replace some of our microscopes, Can anyone recommend some that they have found to be good enough but that are not in the upper price bracket, Some of them read quite well but I have heard that they do not magnify so well.

Any help would be much appreciated.

we have these ones from SciChem (albeit the older, bulb instead of LED version and without the battery option so I don't know if anything else has changed)

They're fine for KS3 / 4; and adequate for A level, although the teachers aren't that impressed with the x40 objective for things like mitosis root squash, they say it's quite dark and fuzzy.

Also, the kids have a habit of pulling the fine focus knobs off which is rather annoying, but you can work without them it's just a bit more fiddly to turn.

We have been given some money to replace some of our microscopes, Can anyone recommend some that they have found to be good enough but that are not in the upper price bracket, Some of them read quite well but I have heard that they do not magnify so well.

Any help would be much appreciated.
I would go for led and battery powered, things to look for are a mechanical stage and the quality of the condenser for higher years

We have

for ks3 and untrustworthy ks4

KS4 & 5 (older version of this)

Just a comment from your friendly Australian repair guy....
Think carefully before buying microscopes with inbuilt batteries.
I'm finding more and more that the batteries are dead as the students have a bad habit of leaving them switched ON when they put them away. After a while this kills the batteries - they will no longer charge and the inbuilt power supply cannot light the LED any longer as it is flat out trying to charge the dead battery. So the microscope no longer works.
I make good money 'repairing' them by fitting new battery sets - not cheap
> In the last two years or so I have been asked a few times to remove the batteries permanently and the schools now will only use on mains power. - end of the dead battery issue for those schools!

Harvey

Just a comment from your friendly Australian repair guy....
Think carefully before buying microscopes with inbuilt batteries.
I'm finding more and more that the batteries are dead as the students have a bad habit of leaving them switched ON when they put them away. After a while this kills the batteries - they will no longer charge and the inbuilt power supply cannot light the LED any longer as it is flat out trying to charge the dead battery. So the microscope no longer works.
I make good money 'repairing' them by fitting new battery sets - not cheap
> In the last two years or so I have been asked a few times to remove the batteries permanently and the schools now will only use on mains power. - end of the dead battery issue for those schools!

Harvey
Ours have three AA rechargeable cells in them which are easily replaced, many of the power supplies they came with given up but you can use a battery charger and swap batteries.

I would get a demo microscope to try before spending on them them.

I bought some just before last lockdown from Sci-chem. The rep came out with a couple for us to try, and we had them for about a month so both staff and students could give their opinion. She was really informative, and gave us a good discount. They work from both battery and mains.