Microscope slides - no polishing needed with this technique

Hello everybody!

I have built "drying racks" for my microscope slides out of plastic seed trays and a long piece of string. It can be any kind of a deep tray, if you pierce holes into it with a hot nail. I lined the bottom with paper towels that can be replaced once tacky. It stops the domino effect drying of slides that slip and stick together from the most gentle breeze, or walking past.

I achieve droplet mark free slides by washing them in a bowl with washing-up liquid, and then I put them in another bowl of hot water with a tiny splash of Decon90 in it (Brecklands sell it, maybe others too. It's a bit pricey but saves so much time). Make sure it's not much, as it's a detergent itself, and it will foam up and leave a soapy film. If you only add a tiny bit, it runs the water right off and dries clean. No polishing needed.

Hope this helps somebody.
Have great day!

Attachments

• 20201120_094649.jpg
    20201120_094649.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
do you not just get a line from the string or the spring; instead of from the next-door slide ?
Do you mean like a mark? The string I use is made of cotton, and absorbs the water, then dries. The dried slides are nice and clear, and even if there is a very faint mark of just basically fluff, it's clean enough for us. I usually gently brush it on my cuff, that's it. I just took this off the tray from this morning:

Attachments

• 20201120_151406.jpg
    20201120_151406.jpg
    566.1 KB · Views: 7
Do you mean like a mark? The string I use is made of cotton, and absorbs the water, then dries. The dried slides are nice and clear, and even if there is a very faint mark of just basically fluff, it's clean enough for us. I usually gently brush it on my cuff, that's it. I just took this off the tray from this morning:
When I've dried them propped against each other, they end up with a dried water mark where water has been trapped between where they had been touching - I imagined the same would happen regardless of whether they were touching another slide, a piece of string or a spring. I'm happy to see that's not the case though, I'll give it a try !