Mice

Sorry Jaytee I must have totally missed that bit. I'm not sure what else to suggest- does diatomaceous earth work on slugs or is it just hard-bodied critters? Might be worth looking into?
Maybe, like The Spiderwick Chronicles, I need a ring of salt around everything. Hehe, I have actually done that around tomato plant containers in the summer. Go onto my patio & you'd think I was trying to ward off evil spirits.
Always puzzled how they get past the salt ring without disturbing it! Do they parachute in?!

Maybe, like The Spiderwick Chronicles, I need a ring of salt around everything. Hehe, I have actually done that around tomato plant containers in the summer. Go onto my patio & you'd think I was trying to ward off evil spirits.
Always puzzled how they get past the salt ring without disturbing it! Do they parachute in?!
Maybe they do. Maybe they hitch a lift on something else that can cross, or drop from overhanging plants. They could even get accidentally dropped by birds. Or they could go the other way and come up through cracks in the tiling.

Maybe they do. Maybe they hitch a lift on something else that can cross, or drop from overhanging plants. They could even get accidentally dropped by birds. Or they could go the other way and come up through cracks in the tiling.
I reckon they teleport - even a lava moat won't stop the blighters~!

Beer traps. Tesco value bitter worked best. Slightly too well. We had the problem of the late to the party slugs being able to climb out over their drowning friends though.

karen b

COMMITTEE
AND has anyone noticed that if a snail or slug gets in & climbs up painted wall the paint bubbles & peels off! They really should bottle that stuff for paint remover.
I haven’t had this problem at home.

I saw a recommendation just to go round with some kind of gap filler foam and seal up every little hole that they could squeeze through.

I saw a recommendation just to go round with some kind of gap filler foam and seal up every little hole that they could squeeze through.
They come through the air bricks, floorboards etc

Ive put Nutella & Peanut Butter in a trap. not caught another mouse after intial one, but cat is still ( uselessly) stalking the kickboards & cupboards every night. Keeps a vigil all night, I don't know if there are any more mice or if she's just smelling the last one.

We also get slugs come in air bricks ( UGH!) any tips on keeping those away? I have sprinkled salt behind kickboards, tried copper tape outside, loathe to use slug pellets due to cats & worried about poisoning birds.
I had a problem with field mice getting in through an air brick, so I screwed a fine metal mesh over the air brick, stopped the mice but still let air through.

They mainly getting in under floorboards then up into kitchen between wall & floorboards under kitchen cabinets, so hard to get under there & seal...I tried! Slugs can flatten & slither through tiniest gap. YUK!

I had a problem with field mice getting in through an air brick, so I screwed a fine metal mesh over the air brick, stopped the mice but still let air through.
I was wondering about that. I stapled loads of mesh to joists under floor years ago when I had rats coming from next door ( hoarder)
That was fun :rolleyes: :(

karen b

COMMITTEE
They mainly getting in under floorboards then up into kitchen between wall & floorboards under kitchen cabinets, so hard to get under there & seal...I tried! Slugs can flatten & slither through tiniest gap. YUK!
My problem is them getting in through gaps around the door frames

We've got mice in the prep room again :rolleyes:

I've set a humane trap with chocolate and marshmallows (since that's what they'd been stealing from the trays !) for the last three nights but no joy. I came in this morning to find they've started eating my plants, my tradescantia has had nearly all its leaves nipped off and they've nibbled a cactus (must have been uncomfortable !); so I'm upping my game.

More traps (still humane, I like mice, just not in my prep room) will be purchased at the weekend, does anyone have any tried-and-tested bait ideas I could try ?!

Thanks
Oh dear. I've never had to deal with rats or mice, but right now we have a pair of pigeons nesting in the vent of the fume cupboard. The chicks have hatched. During a replacement of the school windows, the vent/flue was unattached from the fume cupboard. When it was put back in January it seems the mesh, to stop things like this happening, went AWOL. Each morning I'm greeted with twigs and feathers in the fume cupboard and the chirping of the chicks and the cooing of mum! I can't use the cupboard until the chicks have flown the nest.
I think I got the better deal. Rats? oh no!!

My sister had slugs in her kitchen trying to eat the cat food. They would jump off the worktop to avoid the ring of salt.