Mice

Mousey likes peanut butter ! (thanks for the tips)

He has moved house to the eco club garden where he has a nice warm compost heap to live in, and lots of birdy and froggy friends. Hopefully he won't come back, and if he does head this way he'll reach RE first so he'll be their problem :laughing:

I'll put the traps down again tonight and see if he's got any friends and relations ...View attachment 5724
works every time

Also "He'd been munching on a shed snake skin on that occasion"- brave little git!
When I used to live in a place with a compost heap I used to use my snake skins to repel them and it worked pretty well. Smaug's significantly bigger than any of the natives too so I bet the local mice thought there was an absolute beast living around there. XD
Was it a very old skin?
yes, >6 years old (it's been in the 'specimens' tray longer than I've worked here). I'll have to try and get hold of a new one; both to replace it and as a mouse repellent !

yes, >6 years old (it's been in the 'specimens' tray longer than I've worked here). I'll have to try and get hold of a new one; both to replace it and as a mouse repellent !
My snake has a tendency to ruin his sheds (rips them on stuff in the enclosure, poos on them... lol) or I'd offer you one.

Mousey likes peanut butter ! (thanks for the tips)

He has moved house to the eco club garden where he has a nice warm compost heap to live in, and lots of birdy and froggy friends. Hopefully he won't come back, and if he does head this way he'll reach RE first so he'll be their problem :laughing:

I'll put the traps down again tonight and see if he's got any friends and relations ...View attachment 5724
Well done!

When I had them at home Nutella worked stupidly easily
Ive put Nutella & Peanut Butter in a trap. not caught another mouse after intial one, but cat is still ( uselessly) stalking the kickboards & cupboards every night. Keeps a vigil all night, I don't know if there are any more mice or if she's just smelling the last one.

We also get slugs come in air bricks ( UGH!) any tips on keeping those away? I have sprinkled salt behind kickboards, tried copper tape outside, loathe to use slug pellets due to cats & worried about poisoning birds.

Ive put Nutella & Peanut Butter in a trap. not caught another mouse after intial one, but cat is still ( uselessly) stalking the kickboards & cupboards every night. Keeps a vigil all night, I don't know if there are any more mice or if she's just smelling the last one.

We also get slugs come in air bricks ( UGH!) any tips on keeping those away? I have sprinkled salt behind kickboards, tried copper tape outside, loathe to use slug pellets due to cats & worried about poisoning birds.
We also have problems with slugs! :sick: If anyone does have any tips that would be amazing! I hate the idea of slug pellets too.

Eww, we had slugs indoors when I lived in a rather damp basement flat at uni. We found putting a really prickly doormat inside the front and back doors helped, but if they're coming through air bricks that's not much use.

Copper tape around your doorframes! Like a tiny sluggy electric fence.
From my previous post, "I have sprinkled salt behind kickboards, tried copper tape outside," dont know why, didn't work. Athletic slugs!
AND has anyone noticed that if a snail or slug gets in & climbs up painted wall the paint bubbles & peels off! They really should bottle that stuff for paint remover.
Maybe that's why they started doing snail & slug facials, similar to chemical peel.

Eww, we had slugs indoors when I lived in a rather damp basement flat at uni. We found putting a really prickly doormat inside the front and back doors helped, but if they're coming through air bricks that's not much use.
I kow, I was disgusted, but have found out that several people I know have this issue. My friend has slugs & snails coming in through cat flap! :laughing:

From my previous post, "I have sprinkled salt behind kickboards, tried copper tape outside," dont know why, didn't work. Athletic slugs!
AND has anyone noticed that if a snail or slug gets in & climbs up painted wall the paint bubbles & peels off! They really should bottle that stuff for paint remover.
Maybe that's why they started doing snail & slug facials, similar to chemical peel.
Sorry Jaytee I must have totally missed that bit. I'm not sure what else to suggest- does diatomaceous earth work on slugs or is it just hard-bodied critters? Might be worth looking into?