Mice

We've got mice in the prep room again :rolleyes:

I've set a humane trap with chocolate and marshmallows (since that's what they'd been stealing from the trays !) for the last three nights but no joy. I came in this morning to find they've started eating my plants, my tradescantia has had nearly all its leaves nipped off and they've nibbled a cactus (must have been uncomfortable !); so I'm upping my game.

More traps (still humane, I like mice, just not in my prep room) will be purchased at the weekend, does anyone have any tried-and-tested bait ideas I could try ?!

Thanks

I've set a humane trap with chocolate and marshmallows (since that's what they'd been stealing from the trays !) for the last three nights but no joy. I came in this morning to find they've started eating my plants, my tradescantia has had nearly all its leaves nipped off and they've nibbled a cactus (must have been uncomfortable !); so I'm upping my game.

More traps (still humane, I like mice, just not in my prep room) will be purchased at the weekend, does anyone have any tried-and-tested bait ideas I could try ?!

Thanks
get the schools pets control people in, mice are not something to be humane about.

Thanks
I haven't used it myself but I gather that peanut butter is popular.
Don't forget to disable the traps over the weekend/holidays otherwise they might end up being distinctly inhumane..

I've had mice at home lately. Despite having 2 cats & a dog, hopeless.
Peanut Butter & chocolate seems to lure them into traps. I used humane traps too. I was also advised by someone to put traps against wall, as mice tend to hug wall when trotting around the place.
When we had Mice here ( The huge rat problem is another story!) we used humane traps & took mice caught down to the forest.
The site services put poison down. Several issues with that, not least having mice dying all over the place & having a lesson in chaos when a dying mouse was dragging itself, bleeding from various orifices, across the floor of a lab. Dreadful.

We use sunflower hearts in our humane traps at home - mice loved them.... Put the traps down after we found a welly boot full of the seed they'd pinched out of the bird feed bags and cached away for later...... :p I think we "re-homed" about 15 mice to a nice dry spot under a hedge in the local park in the end, each with a "starter home pack" of some seeds and a bit of dry hay kindly donated by our guinea pigs..... :rolleyes:

In a previous life in a university physics office, we had a pretty severe and intractable mice problem - Central London sits on a network of tunnels, many abandoned and since repopulated, these then feed upwards, especially to places like ours that was an entry point to the tunnels. Humane traps were deployed over many years as we slowly populated Regent's park with rodents. Eventually, we came to the conclusion that half the mice we were rehoming were the same mice returning again and again. They weren't particularly shy - I'd be working late at night and suddenly notice a face wondering what I was doing staring from between books on the shelves...

Good on you for the humane traps! No point in harming something if you don't have to.

I've found peanut butter works well in the past :)

I sourced a see through humane trap ,exactly the same as the standard black ones in shape.
Peanut butter at the end of that and they are in it quickly

We have a lot of mice at home and peanut butter is definitely the best thing. I think it works because they have to stay and eat it, giving the trap time to work. They can't just grab it and leg it.

Mousey likes peanut butter ! (thanks for the tips)

He has moved house to the eco club garden where he has a nice warm compost heap to live in, and lots of birdy and froggy friends. Hopefully he won't come back, and if he does head this way he'll reach RE first so he'll be their problem :laughing:

I'll put the traps down again tonight and see if he's got any friends and relations ...mousey.jpg

When we had Mice here ( The huge rat problem is another story!) we used humane traps & took mice caught down to the forest.
The site services put poison down. Several issues with that, not least having mice dying all over the place & having a lesson in chaos when a dying mouse was dragging itself, bleeding from various orifices, across the floor of a lab. Dreadful.
I could never use poison, it's too horrible to the poor things :( One of the reasons I wanted to sort it myself, as I suspect that's what premises would do (if they did anything)
I think we "re-homed" about 15 mice to a nice dry spot under a hedge in the local park in the end, each with a "starter home pack" of some seeds and a bit of dry hay kindly donated by our guinea pigs..... :rolleyes:
I gave this one a bird cake that my eco club had made just before lockdown last spring ! Glad I'm not the only soppy mouse-rehomer :)
Good on you for the humane traps! No point in harming something if you don't have to.
thank you, some people in the department think I'm daft and soft, but I'd rather that than killing something that was only looking for a warm bed and a snack
I sourced a see through humane trap ,exactly the same as the standard black ones in shape.
Peanut butter at the end of that and they are in it quickly
We have a lot of mice at home and peanut butter is definitely the best thing. I think it works because they have to stay and eat it, giving the trap time to work. They can't just grab it and leg it.
peanut butter definitely did the trick !
In a previous life in a university physics office, we had a pretty severe and intractable mice problem - Central London sits on a network of tunnels, many abandoned and since repopulated, these then feed upwards, especially to places like ours that was an entry point to the tunnels. Humane traps were deployed over many years as we slowly populated Regent's park with rodents. Eventually, we came to the conclusion that half the mice we were rehoming were the same mice returning again and again. They weren't particularly shy - I'd be working late at night and suddenly notice a face wondering what I was doing staring from between books on the shelves...
That sounds annoying, but also kind of cute :D I heard a rustling the other day, and crept down to the biology shelving just in time to see a little face appear over the edge of a tray and then vanish like a brown furry streak of lightning. He'd been munching on a shed snake skin on that occasion :rolleyes: I hope this one doesn't find its way back !
I haven't used it myself but I gather that peanut butter is popular.
Don't forget to disable the traps over the weekend/holidays otherwise they might end up being distinctly inhumane..
Yep, I put them in a box over the weekend :) I've made the mistake of just closing them up in the past, but the mouse could obviously see and smell the food so it tried to chew its way in !

He has moved house to the eco club garden where he has a nice warm compost heap to live in, and lots of birdy and froggy friends. Hopefully he won't come back, and if he does head this way he'll reach RE first so he'll be their problem :laughing:

I'll put the traps down again tonight and see if he's got any friends and relations ...View attachment 5724
The mice at home are still around, cats prowling sniffing at kickboards in kitchen in evening. I caught one with chocolate & peanut butter in a humane trap.
There are obviously others but they are smart now, won't go near trap whatever tasty morsels are in there.
All my bottom cupboards are open in the morning where cats have prised them open to investigate.
Traps in cupboards & behind kickboards. not sure what to try next, never come across mice that don't fall for the peanut butter in a box trick.
I won't leave kickboards off for cats as I don't fancy half chewed mouse on my bed as a present!

I'll put the traps down again tonight and see if he's got any friends and relations ...View attachment 5724
Cutie!!!!!

Also "He'd been munching on a shed snake skin on that occasion"- brave little git!
When I used to live in a place with a compost heap I used to use my snake skins to repel them and it worked pretty well. Smaug's significantly bigger than any of the natives too so I bet the local mice thought there was an absolute beast living around there. XD
Was it a very old skin?