metals pieces to test with acid

archive

Administrator
Site Admin
User: louise81

Hi
When we need small pieces of metal to react with acid in test tubes we cut up foil of copper and zinc which is very time consuming

We have tried granulated zinc through timstar but the pieces are very large - does anyone know of a supplier who provides small pieces of metal for acid reactions?

Do you all also cut up the foil? or are we missing a trick?

Thanks in advance for any replies

archive

Administrator
Site Admin
User: Sarahsx2

We cut up foil too - try to do a large amount in one go when we have a quiet moment. Used to cut up iron strips too - quite difficult !! - now give them little iron nails instead.

archive

Administrator
Site Admin
User: freda

We use copper turnings and iron filings. Zinc is another matter... we have a tray out in the prep room with zinc granules a pair of pliers and a pair of pincers. Amazing stress reducer. Whenever we feel the need we grab pliers in one hand pincers in the other and reduce the large granules to small enough bits to use. You would be surprised how quickly a years supply can be done.....

archive

Administrator
Site Admin
User: HOvis

Fab i Really must try that with the zinc. I also cut up the foils of metal very time consuming as for iron i have gone over to using iron nails as well. does iron Fillings work as i have never used them but would be intrested in using them if they do.

archive

Administrator
Site Admin
User: Jyeardly

copper foil a no brainier I use an old paper trimmer (Ideal for when you need longish strips)

zinc foil is a bugger I have found the best thing is a set of proper metal shears (Gilbows I think is what they are called)

remember little and often is the best ay to go

Joe

archive

Administrator
Site Admin
User: Grumpy

Found this answer in the general chat and discussion forum:

On 28/11/2012 16:13:34, nbarrett wrote:

Take a tub of zinc granules and put it in the freezer overnight. When very cold, pour out the granules onto a hard surface such as a paving slab and cover with some muslin/gauze so you don't lose any bits. Hit repeatedly with a hammer until the pieces are a bit smaller. It's a good stress buster too.

archive

Administrator
Site Admin
User: ER

Just read the tip about freezing the zinc granules (which are too big) and then bashing them to bits with a hammer. I dont think it will work but maybe the granules will get brittle enough to smash up? i might try it and see cos it's a pain cutting zinc foil in

archive

Administrator
Site Admin
User: chf102

we use copper turnings, iron filings, zinc powder, aluminium foil, magnesium ribbon, and tin foil. Don't really bother with zinc granuals unless making up large amounts of hydrogen.