COMMITTEE
It says Barium Chloride (solid)
Once more, have another look

It lists disposal for:
W5 (barium metal)
WSpec (barium metal)
W5 (barium carbonate)
WSpec (barium chloride solid):

The two methods you quoted previously are for the first two listed - Barium Metal
You want the last one listed - Barium Chloride which mentions neither ethanoic acid or propan-2-ol in it's method

karen b

COMMITTEE
Well for Barium Chloride (solid) it suggests two different ways,

• Disposal using Ethanoic Acid (we don't have any)

• Disposal using propan-2-ol (we have some)

What do you suggest me to buy for such purposes? Ethanoic Acid or more of propan-2-ol ?
I think you might need to re-read the hazcard. It is a special disposal method just for barium chloride.
Barium chloride should be dissolved in water then add sodium sulphate. Filter off the precipitate and dispose of in your normal refuse. Pour the filtered solution down the foul water drain

More generally speaking,

Which chemicals are must haves for a secondary school prep room in order to be used in disposals ?

Generally they are chemicals that you would already have like the standard acids and alkali's. See W4 and W5 instructions for those . There are only a few exceptions to this that will have WSpec next to them on the Hazcard

karen b

COMMITTEE
More generally speaking,

Which chemicals are must haves for a secondary school prep room in order to be used in disposals ?
We keep 1M ethanoic acid and 1M sodium carbonate solution for neutralising things before disposal. It might be worth your while taking the time to note somewhere convenient (dare I say Lablogger template?) what the clean up/disposal method is as you prepare each practical

Don't have the Sodium Sulphate (VI) to use it for the disposal of Barium Chloride solid,

So I suppose I am turning it to solution not more than 0,4 M and then I am disposing it according to W7 -> 0,05 M

Which means I just have to produce a less than 0,05 M solution using the solid (powder) waste

So even if I had Sodium Sulphate (VI) why to spend so much more time? Just because it's better for the environment I suppose

Solutions made for disposal can be prepared using tap water?

{EDITED BY MODERATOR - DO NOT POST CLEAPSS DOCUMENTS HERE @JHRoss!]

Last edited by a moderator:

prepAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Site Admin
COMMITTEE
@JHRoss and anyone else tempted to post CLEAPSS or other documents that only paid members are allowed to view - please do not or you risk being banned from these forums.

So I suppose I am turning it to solution not more than 0,4 M and then I am disposing it according to W7 -> 0,05 M
This would be the easiest option with small quantities, which it sounds like you have if they're in spotting tiles

Solutions made for disposal can be prepared using tap water?
Yes as they're not being used for an experiment, just going down the drain

So even if I had Sodium Sulphate (VI) why to spend so much more time? Just because it's better for the environment I suppose
We can only put small quantities of some chemicals down the foul water drain because of the effect to the environment and water treatment plants

Re: Flame tests, we use garden sprayers (small, hand held) for demos, or for students top sets if you can trust them, solutions of various chemicals then spray through a bunsen flame, with a Gratnell tray behind, standing on end, leaning up the wall to catch any overspray. It works well if you choose the chemicals wisely.

karen b

COMMITTEE
Re: Flame tests, we use garden sprayers (small, hand held) for demos, or for students top sets if you can trust them, solutions of various chemicals then spray through a bunsen flame, with a Gratnell tray behind, standing on end, leaning up the wall to catch any overspray. It works well if you choose the chemicals wisely.
And don’t do it under the smoke alarm! Still it saved the deputy head from organising a fire alarm practice.

Though I’m not sure this is recommended for students to do is it? Thought it was demo only

We use metal inoculating loops like this

1620199307743.png

Do you find the bottles get blocked quickly? We've had to stop doing it this way as we would clear them each time and within a few minutes of having solution in, they would be clogged and not spray properly. We were using old spray bottles eg of muiltipurpose cleaner so maybe need to invest in some better bottles