Metal Salts (of flame tests) disposal

Greetings,

Metal salts of flame remained to the spotting tiles,

Dispose or return back to the bottles? (worthes the risk?) If I choose disposal am I just putting them into zip lock bags and to the normal waste?

Regards

Never done flame tests in spotting tiles ! Are the salts solid or solutions ? Either way, check the hazcard for each chemical and either dissolve / dilute to the specified W7 concentration and pour down the foul water drain, or store for waste collection as appropriate. I wouldn't keep them, they'll almost certainly be contaminated

Never done flame tests in spotting tiles ! Are the salts solid or solutions ? Either way, check the hazcard for each chemical and either dissolve / dilute to the specified W7 concentration and pour down the foul water drain, or store for waste collection as appropriate. I wouldn't keep them, they'll almost certainly be contaminated
What do you use to store for waste collection?

How many times per year do you give out waste to be collected?

I presume they are solids, so keep them in labelled pots only for use for flame tests. Seems a shame to throw leftovers out.

Your students must be better at the practical than ours - any salts that come back usually give a funky multicoloured display :laughing:
We do do this as a circus practical and put loops and salts at each station around the lab. Doesn't always work out well though. :laughing:

Cunning ! We were wasting so many chemicals that I gave up and just give them soaked splints now with a teacher demo of the traditional method !

+1 to soaked splints. No contamination, better colour purity, less cleaning, less chemical waste, less time.
For GCSE and A-level we have to do the traditional method using loops as they do get examined on that, but I always encourage teachers to do that as a demo and the practical using splints.

Well for Copper Chloride it says: "Follow General Guidance in About Hazcards,(GL 120)"

Can't find but only specific guidance corresponding to specific codes there eg W8

Well for Copper Chloride it says: "Follow General Guidance in About Hazcards,(GL 120)"

Can't find but only specific guidance corresponding to specific codes there eg W8
there's another little box on the HazCard above and to the right of the 'disposal' box with the actual disposal instructions

Please find time to sit and read GL120. It has clear guidance (on page 4+5) where to find the correct information on the Hazcard.

If you go to GL120 it will show you on page 5 and 6 where to find it on the Hazcard. the disposal code isn't in that box. its in the one above it as JFKtech has previously said
Found it (didn't notice this small box before), big thanks!

Well for Barium Chloride (solid) it suggests two different ways,

• Disposal using Ethanoic Acid (we don't have any)

• Disposal using propan-2-ol (we have some)

What do you suggest me to buy for such purposes? Ethanoic Acid or more of propan-2-ol ?

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
Well for Barium Chloride (solid) it suggests two different ways,

• Disposal using Ethanoic Acid (we don't have any)

• Disposal using propan-2-ol (we have some)

What do you suggest me to buy for such purposes? Ethanoic Acid or more of propan-2-ol ?
Look again
Neither of those methods is for Barium Chloride - they are both for Barium metal

The Hazcard is also for Barium metal and Barium Carbonate so you have to make sure you're reading the correct information

Look again
Neither of those methods is for Barium Chloride - they are both for Barium metal

The Hazcard is also for Barium metal and Barium Carbonate so you have to make sure you're reading the correct information
It says Barium Chloride (solid) and the leftovers are in powder