Making states of matter syringes

Has anyone made filled syringes to show compression with solid, liquid and gas? I am not sure what glue to use to seal the end of the syringe. Is superglue any good? or maybe a sealant of some sort? thanks.

Yeah melting is the only way, even the best glue will fly out the nozzle at Mach-2 into the eye of a student if under enough pressure :p

Not my idea, I think someone on here shared.

Remove the black rubber tip from a second syringe plunger and glue it to the base of the syringe, allow to dry.
Then fill with what ever you want, solid, liquid or gas, insert the plunger using a thin wire which will allow the air to escape and when pulled back out a tight seal forms.
My current ones are 5 plus years and going strong!

This has come at a convenient time for me, I need to make some too. When sealing by melting, do you start with the syring containing the sand/water/air volume you want to finish with and the plunger in, or do you have any neat tactics for sealing first then adding the contents (particularly if it can be reversed for emptying if needed)?

Remove the black rubber tip from a second syringe plunger and glue it to the base of the syringe, allow to dry.
Then fill with what ever you want, solid, liquid or gas, insert the plunger using a thin wire which will allow the air to escape and when pulled back out a tight seal forms.
This sounds good but I can't picture it ( too hot!), please could you send a photo ?

I agree. For years I've been melting but found the liquid syringe to be problematic. This method with the wire is brilliant at stopping air from getting into the liquid syringe.

Silicon sealer, the sort used to seal around baths and showers works pretty well too....until some macho tw*t decides the object of the experiment is to pull the plunger as hard as possible till it comes out :rolleyes:

we make these as class sets using 5 mm syringes. to seal the end we bought screws, No 4 ( 2.5 mm x 12 mm ) , screwed into the tip then put super glue in too. ours last forever so I think its worth a try.

This has come at a convenient time for me, I need to make some too. When sealing by melting, do you start with the syring containing the sand/water/air volume you want to finish with and the plunger in, or do you have any neat tactics for sealing first then adding the contents (particularly if it can be reversed for emptying if needed)?
start with the syringe containing the sand/water/air volume you want to finish with and the plunger in then seal with a Bunsen in a fume cupboard. (fumes)

Thank you all for replies. I have now tried glue, which seems to work so far and also heating and sealing the nozzle, which also works. I might try the idea with the wire inserted next time, that sounds like a good way to release trapped air in the syringe. The real test is when these syringes go out on Thursday. I wonder if any will come back without damage ;)