Looking for a bit of guidance...

Afternoon all,

I will keep this as close to the point as possible, so a few background facts:
- I am an agency worker and I am currently working from home (with the school just over a year).
- I am a trainee technician, they got rid of my colleague and I have no senior technician (used to last year).
- Our Head is only requiring those to volunteer to come in to help with key school.
- The school is planning to open around the 15th (year 10/year 12/year 6 transitions)
- The only work set for me is some CPD stuff which I use to brush up on areas of the curriculum that I am not that strong on. The head seems to think that this is all I am doing as a technician.

With this in mind, I have only been doing the work set to me, as I kind of feel that I am not in the position of the senior technician (I am not paid this, and this was not negotiated with my agency although I am thankful I have a job).

I am kind of waiting to hear from my HoD from her senior meetings for guidance. I have not taken any responsibility for any audits, ordering etc, as I kind of feel that this goes beyond what I am paid for. In addition to this, the school would need to speak to my agency (and the umbrella company they work with) if they wish to bring me in to work over the summer.

I have read about CLEAPSS advice regarding practicals etc.

What would you do in my position? I just don't want to undermine the position of the senior technician with regards to wages etc.

Many thanks :)

Julie Delaney

COMMITTEE
QUOTE="Jimbob1988, post: 75098, member: 32902"]
Yes only tech and no plans to replace senior tech (that I know of).
[/QUOTE]
Would you not apply for the permanent post? Might it be worth speaking to your HOD and test the waters in terms of being kept on properly? As far as CPD goes, it should be relevant to your role and not some pointless crap that SLT think you need to do. Liaise with HOD and offer to implement procedures and systems which would make your role easier, e.g. check list for lab equipment, SOP's for maintenance, servicing records etc. There was nothing in place at my school when I arrived almost 16 years ago; it now has proper documented systems in place, which took time to do, but, made things so much easier and smoother in the long run. My line manager was so impressed by my stuff that he showed SLT. :cool: You can make CPD worthwhile and beneficial to your self. Failing that, self directed learning is always a good one! You can watch YouTube videos on cool science stuff and pass it off as CPD!!! :D:D

They have offered me the senior position but due to the outbreak of this pandemic, my time with the agency was extended five months until September. I wanted to keep my options open but this pandemic has meant I am not currently looking. It's mainly the location away from the school, but then again the school has a new MET which could be interesting.

I guess what I am trying to say is, I don't feel that it would be a good idea to take such extra responsibility when 1) I don't get paid for it and 2) I am not yet experienced to do so. Otherwise, I am undermining the pay that senior techs in my opinion. Self-directed learning would be interesting.

if they want you to do it they should pay you.

The agency will be a problem as they will want a % if you go permanent.

if they want you to do it they should pay you.

The agency will be a problem as they will want a % if you go permanent.
Exactly. This is the thing, I am hesitant to take charge (as in do senior stuff) whilst I get paid for a trainee agency role..

karen b

COMMITTEE
Exactly. This is the thing, I am hesitant to take charge (as in do senior stuff) whilst I get paid for a trainee agency role..
Have you explained the situation to your head of department? They may have forgotten your employment status.

Julie Delaney

COMMITTEE
They know my situation :)
Maybe if you prove yourself as suitable for the senior tech role then they may employ you as such? It might be worth your coming up with ideas and proposals as to how you could develop the role, if it is something you would be interested in undertaking?