Loblogger too easy to book equipment

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
Had a teacher who took the biscuit yesterday - because it is so easy to book equipment with lablogger (couple of clicks to find the template and it's done) she booked 4 different experiments for one double lesson, most would take a double lesson their own:

Magdeburg hemispheres - with the vacuum pump
hard boiled eggs into a flask experiment
Sweating and cooling (plastic bottles covered with wet/dry paper towels) thermometer used to measure cooling
Measuring 'up-thrust' - loads of heavy and not so heavy objects - balances and newton meters.

If she'd used the old system she would not have bothered to type out all the equipment required.

OK that was bad enough but when I came in this morning she had only used one of the requested kits and I find out that she had arranged (two days ago) a meeting at the same time, had to be covered for one of the lessons so only had a single left.

I knew lablogger was too good to be true.

Had similar - but not as bad. Once spotted I used the email facility back to the teacher and refused to 'authorise' it until changed. But then again there's just me where there used to be 2 techs and I am gradually digging my heels in to make the point that decisions made at management level actually have real-world consequences...….and a lone tech cannot be expected to do the workload of 2....so I don't !

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
Had similar - but not as bad. Once spotted I used the email facility back to the teacher and refused to 'authorise' it until changed. But then again there's just me where there used to be 2 techs and I am gradually digging my heels in to make the point that decisions made at management level actually have real-world consequences...….and a lone tech cannot be expected to do the workload of 2....so I don't !
I'm on my own as well - but feel sorry for the teacher - she struggles with discipline and she uses over preparing and heaping work on the students to keep them occupied, which doesn't work because they just get overwhelmed, give up and start messing about. I try to help her with suitable advice but to no avail - she's got 15 years experience she keeps telling me.