Lead Nitrate

Greetings to everyone,

I have plenty of Lead Nitrate containers in the chemical store but one of them was in this condition from the beginning (when I started working here)

lead nitrate.jpg

Any ideas on the possible causes of this?

Regards

Lid not fully sealed from surrounding air. Looks like our old friend .880 fumes. Take a small sample of the crystals, form into solution and add a little dilute NaOH. Precipitate will indicate presence of ammonium ions.

Lid not fully sealed from surrounding air. Looks like our old friend .880 fumes. Take a small sample of the crystals, form into solution and add a little dilute NaOH. Precipitate will indicate presence of ammonium ions.
Great thanks!

And a query, in such scenario what am I supposed to do with it? How am I disposing it?

Last edited:
In the five years I have been at my current school, I have not once had to make up any lead nitrate solution, relying on what was in the small reagent bottles already made up. I have one bottle of lead nitrate solid bought in Nov 2007. It is only used here for reacting with Potassium iodide to form yellow lead iodide with only a drop being used each time in a spotting tile. If you have "plenty of Lead nitrate containers" in your chemical store, you are probably never going to use it so I would suggest keeping the newest one and arranging for the rest to be collected when you have your next chemical waste collection.

In the five years I have been at my current school, I have not once had to make up any lead nitrate solution, relying on what was in the small reagent bottles already made up. I have one bottle of lead nitrate solid bought in Nov 2007. It is only used here for reacting with Potassium iodide to form yellow lead iodide with only a drop being used each time in a spotting tile. If you have "plenty of Lead nitrate containers" in your chemical store, you are probably never going to use it so I would suggest keeping the newest one and arranging for the rest to be collected when you have your next chemical waste collection.

Yeah, I am consider doing this, cheers!

Well I prepared the solution you suggested me and I can't see any precipitation, nevertheless I can notice the crystals floating in the solution

Stab in the dark but could the lead nitrate be recrystalising in an insoluble form? Drop a crystal in 0.01M KI. Yellow ppt will indicate that it is lead nitrate if partially soluble.