Key keys keys..... bane of my life.

At my new school, all cabinet keys etc are on bit of old string with carboard labels.

It drives me nuts.

I suggested proper key rings and a board labelled with hooks.

They seemed reluctant to change as they think that they don't want staff helping themselves (which they could already do with the margarine tubs they are currently in).

How do you guys store keys? All prep rooms are locked.

Just spend 10 mins looking for a key on a tatty bit of string.

I was thinking a lockable key box - but that seems superfluous?

Any home made affairs - picture please!

Cheers.

clairelucas

COMMITTEE
Sorry- I have the chem store/cabinets /gas keys on my own key ring. Science staff have science rooms (not chem store) and gas keys. There will be copies held by the bursar (also she is H&S officer) so can be re-allocated if need be. Lone tech. only me needing keys- usually.

We have our own bunches of keys for the main things like lab and prep room doors, gas and electric, etc. We then have board in the main prep room with little hooks on it to hang all the extra ones like cupboards and cabinets. These all have coloured labelled keyrings so that they're easy to identify.

All labs, store rooms and cupboards open with a master key, which only techs have. Teachers have a set of keys for the classroom labs and gas padlocks which open all classrooms and padlocks. The only other keys we have are for the display boards, radio active cupboard and roof garden which are kept in the prep room. works well until you forget your keys.

Carys

I work with MarieW!
I've got my important keys (labs, flammable cupboards, upstairs prep room, radioactives cupboard etc) on a keyring in my pocket. Classroom cupboards, cupboards below fume cupboards etc are in a little key store in the office within the main prep room.

At my new school, all cabinet keys etc are on bit of old string with carboard labels.

It drives me nuts.

I suggested proper key rings and a board labelled with hooks.

They seemed reluctant to change as they think that they don't want staff helping themselves (which they could already do with the margarine tubs they are currently in).

How do you guys store keys? All prep rooms are locked.

Just spend 10 mins looking for a key on a tatty bit of string.

I was thinking a lockable key box - but that seems superfluous?

Any home made affairs - picture please!

Cheers.
i'd buy a locking key cabinet if you have loads

I have a tray full of keys - all helpfully with number tags on - of course I have two sets of lists of key numbers, which do not line up any where.
I have found the few that are useful (a grand total of 4 from the mess) and keep them safe. Just keep lab, chem stores and sharps keys on me.

When I arrived here, I found a completely unused keysafe and three jars plus one box of keys, including keychains just left behind by staff members with a mr Blobby keyring attached. Over time, I have slowly found the padlocks, chemical and display cupboards, gas and electricity stops and even a lift that a minority of the keys belong to (and have assigned numbers on the keysafe). Since the biotech left, another two jam jars of keys have been gifted to me...

Purple Cat

It's real Science not Rocket Science
We havw a wall-mounted key cabinet (which I have the key to) Science Staff have lab keys (3 different ones), the key to the Prep Room is the same as some of the labs but not the Chem Store.

Some years ago, (why do all my posts now start like this) The AudioVisual technician I shared an office with had a key safe with about 100 keys for all the projectors and video recorders across our site. All labeled up with the room Nos, Then some bright spark decided to change the room numbering system. Rm 4 became E4, Room 22 became H2...... Room 45 became MH1. Said technician retired before he renumbered anything Arrrggghhh.

I think I have possibly the worst key setup. I have my main set that I always carry with me. It has my preproom/cupboard key, a science lab key, a normal classroom key, the gasguard key, a toilet key that's too short and doesn't always work, an elevator key, a key for my quick access chemical cupboard, a key for the science terrace (essentially a top floor balcony where I keep my bucket of pondweed), a key for the corridor wall displays, and another key that I can't even remember what it belongs to (it might be the key to the top floor corridor windows).

Then I have the radiation cupboard keyring that I keep locked in the prep cupboard, which is just an old piece of cardboard box with 'Radiation' written on it, along with 2 keys for the cupboard, 2 keys to the safe, and for some reason I have yet to fathom, a length of brown twine (maybe for tying to one of my belt loops? I dunno).

Then the worst part. Each of the 6 labs has several cupboards in them where equipment is stored. Not only do each of these labs have their own bunch of keys, but every single cupboard requires a different key, and they all have slightly different numbers on them printed really small so you have to look really close to read it, but then there is also a spare for every single key on each keyring, so I end up just reading the same key multiple times and never finding the right one. I will be damned if I have to lock/unlock these cupboards because I would literally be sifting through keys for half the bloody day.

Oh, and they're all just dumped into a tupperware box. I was promised a wall-mounted hanger for them. That was three years ago.

Then the worst part. Each of the 6 labs has several cupboards in them where equipment is stored. Not only do each of these labs have their own bunch of keys, but every single cupboard requires a different key, and they all have slightly different numbers on them printed really small so you have to look really close to read it, but then there is also a spare for every single key on each keyring, so I end up just reading the same key multiple times and never finding the right one. I will be damned if I have to lock/unlock these cupboards because I would literally be sifting through keys for half the bloody day.
We have that ! There's a plastic box per new lab with about thirty keys in each, except some are there in triplicate and a couple are missing in each lab :laughing: (some are probably in the wrong boxes, but I've never got round to trying to sort them out properly !). We just never lock any of them if we can help it

We have that ! There's a plastic box per new lab with about thirty keys in each, except some are there in triplicate and a couple are missing in each lab :laughing: (some are probably in the wrong boxes, but I've never got round to trying to sort them out properly !). We just never lock any of them if we can help it
Same here. It's just too much faff. Especially when the kids will just break the doors off their hinges.