It's a waiting game now - hatching

Techitude

COMMITTEE
Hatch-it club 2021 kicked off yesterday and we now have 12 call duck eggs cooking away in the incubator.

Everyone hold your breath and keep your fingers crossed for at least two of these eggs to give us adorable fluffy ducklings.

The wait is on....

20210609_113501.jpg

We were supposed to do it the half term before Easter but, you know, Covid, so we're a go now.

Is any one else doing incubation during this last half term?

Last edited:
This is fantastic, I'd love to have a go at it here! :love: What do you do with any ducks that make it?

My morning route to walk my dog goes past the local pond and I often stop for a few minutes to feed the ducks and watch the ducklings.

Techitude

COMMITTEE
This is fantastic, I'd love to have a go at it here! :love: What do you do with any ducks that make it?

My morning route to walk my dog goes past the local pond and I often stop for a few minutes to feed the ducks and watch the ducklings.
What do you do with the ducklings? Do you eat them?

I take them home at the end of term, rear them until they're old enough to know the sexes then sell them as pets to nice homes :)

The end of last half term we had the (usually) annual arrival of the recently hatched chickens. My other half does it with little ones at a primary school and they of course love it as do my own brood.

Our were from local city farm. It was £120 to have 15 eggs plus equipment. We returned Ducks after. We could keep them if we wanted but couldn't find homes.

we did the living egg project with yr 7 a few years back. They were soooo cute. I didn't realise you could fall in love with a chicken but I did. His name was Beaker and he was hatched with a wonky leg. Went off to an urban farm, still shed a tear

Techitude

COMMITTEE
Our were from local city farm. It was £120 to have 15 eggs plus equipment. We returned Ducks after. We could keep them if we wanted but couldn't find homes.

I have all my own equipment and bring it in to school, I have hatched chicks and ducklings at all three schools I've worked in now (second time doing it at this school).

These eggs were from ebay! The school are getting off lightly because I don't ask them to pay for anything :nerd: I think the staff enjoy the ducklings more than the students though, I suddenely get lots of visitors to the prep room once they've hatched!

My daughter's school currently has a duck that has made it's nest in one of their quads. It is the 5th time in the last 3 years this has happened. The last lot flew off during the Whit half term holiday.

The 5 runner duck ducklings in my photo hatched over half term holidays. The hen incubated 3 of them and the other 2 were in an incubator. We did have another 2 hatch from the incubator, but died after a couple of days - one of them had a bent leg, and both were the last to hatch, but no idea why they died. We incubated 4 eggs under the hen and 6 in the incubator, so a 50% success rate, which is pretty good for ducks. We've hatched Pekin chicken eggs before (the hen comes from one of them) and we've kept all the hens, and some of the cockerels, but unfortunately we seem to get more cockerels than hens.

Techitude

COMMITTEE
Our incubation is going disastrously. Of the 12 duck eggs we set only 7 of them were fertile and steadily over the last week the embryos have died one by one leaving us with currently just 2 eggs still developing.
Last week, realising we may have a problem, I got 6 fresh chicken eggs from a friends farm and popped them in the incubator too, so they'd be due the same time as the ducklings. Well it looks as though only 1 of those is even fertile and developing.
At this rate, as long as we don't lose any more, we might get 2 ducklings and 1 chick from 18 eggs.
Can I give up? :rolleyes: :confused: :crying:

Hatch-it club 2021 kicked off yesterday and we now have 12 call duck eggs cooking away in the incubator.

Everyone hold your breath and keep your fingers crossed for at least two of these eggs to give us adorable fluffy ducklings.

The wait is on....

View attachment 6448

We were supposed to do it the half term before Easter but, you know, Covid, so we're a go now.

Is any one else doing incubation during this last half term?
Please do a bit of research beforehand in case one of your chicks has a disability. We hatched some guinea fowl at home and one had a deformed leg. We had to make a splint for it. It took us too long to sort it out and it died because it could not stand and feed itself. It was heartbreaking but you can learn from our mistake. I used to breed zebra finches and one of those was born with a deformed leg, luckily it was ok but these things happen!

We had a pretty horrifying experience too! Of the 12 partridge eggs, 10 hatched but only 3 survived :( :( the kit we were given just didn't seem suitable, we had several of them drown in the water bowl because they couldn't get out of it once they'd got in to drink. We tried filling it only a tiny bit and having small stones in there but they still were floundering around. Plus the straw they gave us was so thick it was damaging their legs :eek: