Issues Ordering from Suppliers

Can I remind all members of the rules you all agreed to when joining this forum. (https://community.preproom.org/index.php?help/terms/)

A negative personal experience with any supply company is a matter best remedied by contacting the supplier directly. Usually issues are quickly resolved which is why we do not allow posting about problems with any supplier here. Negative posts remain online and Google indexed potentially for decades which leads to untold problems, potential libel action and claims of slander years after the initial post was made.

As always we encourage discussion on a range of subjects and if you wish to praise a particular supplier publicly you are free to do so but we do not welcome criticism of any supplier whether they are sponsors here or not. They do not have the right of reply here and any attempts at solving issues publicly end up very messy, as do heated comparisons between suppliers. Everyone has their favourite supplier and this varies across the country for many different reasons.

So, in essence if you have had great service from a supplier - feel free to post about it. If you have an issue, contact them directly instead.

Thank you.
My Error, it wasn't intended as a "name and shame", just an honest query, hence the blunder.
My apologies.

Yes, I email and check stock before ordering, it's BREXIT and the pandemic as stuff not in a warehouse has to come from china.
Good advice, something we have began doing if it is urgent.
I had a bearing take 6 months last/this year.

karen b

COMMITTEE
Yes, I email and check stock before ordering, it's BREXIT and the pandemic as stuff not in a warehouse has to come from china.
Sometimes they say the item is in stock when you place the order online, but then it turns out it isn’t. I deliberately didn’t order something last December as I didn’t want it arriving during the holidays so I placed the order in early January. One item arrived, with the other item “to follow in six weeks”. It arrived last week

I had another item from an online supplier (not one of the regulars). They cancelled the order as it had been so long since I placed the order and they didn’t know when the item might be in stock (although the website said it was when I placed the order)

We've just had a delivery of radioactive sources. They were much delayed (including by covid) and the communication wasn't brilliant. In the end we found out the name of the courier and contacted them directly.

I have experienced supply issues across the board with suppliers. Really seems to depend on the product. For items such as G clamps I just went to screw fix in the end, chemical supplies more tricky to find else where. Waited almost 6 months for acetic orcein. I find calling can only help so much as if they are struggling to source items themselves, the person on the end of the phone cant really hurry things up. Currently 3 orders I'm stuck waiting for microscopes (stuck in Barcelona apparently) marble chips and microscope slides struggling to get stock.
I've been waiting for marble chips since 17 November! I've had 6 'revised delivery date' emails, the last one was for 25 April but they're still not here. I'd be interested to know where they're coming from and what the problem is.

Had another update today with a revised delivery date, it's now 23 May! :(

Last edited:
Out of interest, which suppliers do people use with good experience ? We've historically only used a few different ones, and I'm sure there are more out there - would appreciate any highly rates names please xx

I've been waiting for marble chips since 17 November! I've had 6 'revised delivery date' emails, the last one was for 25 April but they're still not here. I'd be interested to know where they're coming from and what the problem is.

Had another update today with a revised delivery date, it's now 23 May! :(
I always say "oh good. Marble chips. I'll get some tonight, when it's dark. Cemetery's get somewhat annoyed when I go in daylight"

Some think I'm serious.

We've used ********* for years as one of our suppliers, but of late we've experienced communication issues about stock availability errors and items taking a long time with little information.

Has anyone else has recent problems? They're usually really good.

EDITED BY MODERATOR - As per forum rules, please do not 'name and shame' suppliers publicly here. If you have an issue with a specific supplier, please speak to them.
We've had kit on order for over 8 months from one supplier and a few months from another. They just can't get product from Europe and the USA. Not the suppliers fault but it's important that they communicate with customers.

We've had kit on order for over 8 months from one supplier and a few months from another. They just can't get product from Europe and the USA. Not the suppliers fault but it's important that they communicate with customers.
It's due to less flying lots of freight went in 747s etc below the passengers, now they try to get it on ships which take time.

I think this is general for all suppliers - I've had problems sourcing even the simplest of items from all my suppliers - the best example is clamps and bosses took over 7 months to arrive. I also note the quality is getting worse as well. Don't know if it's brexit or covid or just a sign of the times.
Yes totally agree about quality, and this is across a range of companies most items are ok then the ones yiu wait onfor ages are rubbish!