Issue with HoD?

I've been working in this school since September and my HoD seems to be unable to call me by my name. Initially I didn't think much of this as I was often referred to as 'miss'- especially in front of the students. However, as time has gone on I've noticed that everyone in the department is called by their name when not around students but this does not seem to be the case with me. I've also overheard her calling me 'that lab girl' to other members of staff.

I'm not very good at confrontation so I'm not sure how to deal with this, any suggestions are welcome.

Simple - Don't answer unless he calls you by your name.

At Uni I has one lecturer who refused to pronounce my name correctly - it's only 4 letters long and as English as they come. After a few weeks of correcting him I went selectively deaf.

He knew how to pronounce my name but just couldn't be arsed.

Try it - it worked for me.

Don't be afraid to confront him - just correct him.

You deserve to be at least be called by your name.

Welcome, jhw!

If he hasn't said anything, it's hard to know the reason without talking to him, which will be tricky if you would rather avoid confrontation.
He might not be doing it on purpose, I'm absolutely rubbish with names, it's definitely not personal! It does sound strange though.

Does it really bother you, or is it something you can ignore? If you can't ignore it, you'll have to find a way of broaching it.

Hopefully someone here will have the right flavour of advice for you. :)

Are they the sort of person who could have forgotten and now be too scared to ask because it’s so long since September? I know they could probably look it up but they probably won’t unlesss they’re aware it’s not just their problem.

Not good, I agree but maybe go with the don't answer response and when theyask if you heard them, state you did not hear your name so presumed they were after someone else.

I agree with ignoring her and feigning ignorance when she says she spoke to you. Or if you're feeling brave, start calling her 'that HOD woman' :p

Off topic, but I find it interesting that three people on this thread have assumed HOD is a man, despite them being referred to as 'her' in the OP. Not sure if this is an assumption that women can't be heads of department, or that women aren't rude !

I agree with ignoring her and feigning ignorance when she says she spoke to you. Or if you're feeling brave, start calling her 'that HOD woman' :p

Off topic, but I find it interesting that three people on this thread have assumed HOD is a man, despite them being referred to as 'her' in the OP. Not sure if this is an assumption that women can't be heads of department, or that women aren't rude !
Sorry edited the pronouns.

To my shame, guilty on the he/she front in this case, something I'm usually careful of. I actually remember thinking, 'just go back and check it is a he before posting' and I obviously came away satisfied somehow. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So, either some unconscious bias or a terrible attention to detail. : )

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
I've been working in this school since September and my HoD seems to be unable to call me by my name. Initially I didn't think much of this as I was often referred to as 'miss'- especially in front of the students. However, as time has gone on I've noticed that everyone in the department is called by their name when not around students but this does not seem to be the case with me. I've also overheard her calling me 'that lab girl' to other members of staff.

I'm not very good at confrontation so I'm not sure how to deal with this, any suggestions are welcome.
Next time it happens - Just say "I do have a name you know!!". That is not confrontational and maybe slightly funny - could break the ice.

I'd probably send a passive aggressive email with a photo of my badge and the name circled in red via Paint with the subject "For your reference".

Or I'd at least write it out before then deleting the draft. It depends on the day. Some days I really also hate confrontation. Other days I'm like "COME ON THEN LET'S HAVE YOU" and just metaphorically throw my arms back in challenging defiance and ready to take on anything or anyone.

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE

Next time it happens - Just say "I do have a name you know!!". That is not confrontational and maybe slightly funny - could break the ice.

In addition, try making a very large name badge and wear it in prominent position.

Just correct her when she calls you miss, maybe say something like " There's no students around you can call me JHW" doesn't need to be confrontational if you make it light hearted.