Is there anyone currently doing IB Environmental systems and societies? (this is a new course for us)

Irene

Irene
I don't know if this is the right page, and may sound a bit topsy-turvy. I have just been asked to see if anyone has set up an eco garden so temperature, insects, rainfall can be measured on a weekly basis. If so, how difficult was it to set up, and was there adequate data for a study?
If there are any links for setting one up then it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

We did something similar a few years back as part of eco club. As regards temperature and rainfall have you thought of a weather station, our geography dept had one that we could get the data from. Pitfall traps are a good way to count species and numbers of insects but do need daily inspection.The data we collected probably wasn't very accurate but it was an interesting research project for the kids to get their teeth into.

Irene

Irene
We did something similar a few years back as part of eco club. As regards temperature and rainfall have you thought of a weather station, our geography dept had one that we could get the data from. Pitfall traps are a good way to count species and numbers of insects but do need daily inspection.The data we collected probably wasn't very accurate but it was an interesting research project for the kids to get their teeth into.
Didn't think of the geography dept, thanks for that (shall pass it on to the course organiser, she can grovel to them). We did a taster day last week using pitfall traps, (it was great fun being out of my 4 walls!!) and the Yr12's to be really enjoyed it.

We set up a garden but ASDAN got hold of it & bye bye garden plan.
Can you fit a small pond in it?
I did a snail survey as part of an OU course. I thought I wouldn't find all the different kinds they wanted...how wrong! There are so many more than your basic grey/brown shell. Fun having a search for them too.
Think there may be info on their site? There's definitely info on environmental experiments.