Is eating allowed in the prep room?

No, but we decided that given the choice of eating with other people or at our desks, we'll take the desk option when the science team room is occupied! Thankfully the students are on staggered lunches atm and there's a half hour in between when they're all in lessons, so if we time it right we can actually get into the team room for lunch most days!

Have the odd cuppa in there but don't eat my lunch there. If I don't leave the prep room I am getting hassled by them teachers wanting a 'bit of this' or 'can I just have' If i'm not there then they can't have. Like to hear all the gossip from the staff room too :laughing:

We have a kitchen area with a table to eat at, (or more recently we spill out into the workshop area if lots of us are there at the same time!).

We have a socially distanced staff room and a 'resource' room (a.k.a. the tea room), also there are staggered lunch times so it doesn't get crowded. In extremis I have coffee in an insulated mug with a lid on well away from 'prep' areas (plus a sneaky Kit-Kat

Paul Murphy

COMMITTEE
To our detriment we do eat our lunch in the prep room but we do know the risks.
We have been told not to do it but staff want the prep room manned at all times.
We only get 36 minutes (that precise) for lunch so moving to the staff room would only EAT into that time. :laughing:

We have converted part of our Physics prep room into a staff room, I think as long as there are no chemicals and biological hazards its ok

Bio/Chem techs have "offices" separate from the prep rooms and eat/drink there. In Physics our desks are in the prep room.

In normal time we go to the canteen for lunch (provided as a perk) but the canteen is pupils and duty staff only atm so we are collecting takeaways from elsewhere.

Thankfully us tech's take lunch after the teachers so normally just go to the staff room and eat when its clear.

Like the labs we don't eat in our prep room (including teachers). I am just curious if other technicians eat their lunch in your prep room?
I am not allowed to eat in the Prep room, but as there is no other place to eat, I have to go into a very small non chemical storage room, surrounded by dusty books, folders, paper towels, empty gratnell trays, and boxes of paper. When i've complained I was told to go down into the staff room (which was being refurbished so there isn't one and wont be for several months). The science teachers all eat and drink in their labs, including the HOD who told me to go to the non existent staff room.

I am not allowed to eat in the Prep room, but as there is no other place to eat, I have to go into a very small non chemical storage room, surrounded by dusty books, folders, paper towels, empty gratnell trays, and boxes of paper. When i've complained I was told to go down into the staff room (which was being refurbished so there isn't one and wont be for several months). The science teachers all eat and drink in their labs, including the HOD who told me to go to the non existent staff room.
One rule for one, another for everyone else it seems (usually to the detriment of the Tech). No one should be eating & drinking in labs (it is illegal according to CLEAPSS and HSE) including the teachers and especially the HOD (they should be setting an example).

Get in touch with your trade union, there is a legal requirement to provide you with a safe and suitable place to eat your lunch

I eat in the prep room at a desk which is constantly sanitised and I don't put anything remotely chemical near it. I could eat in the staff room but have been avoiding it for obvious reasons. It was a case of every other chair being out of bound at a feeble attempt at social distancing but having just been in there I've seen everyone sitting around as if the world is all hunky dory and we can all breathe on each other without worry :rolleyes:
I'll take my chances in the prep room!! Oh and not to forget that these are the educated ones with degrees as they constantly like to emphasise :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:. Roll on the end of term tomorrow :D:D

I eat in the prep room at a desk which is constantly sanitised and I don't put anything remotely chemical near it. I could eat in the staff room but have been avoiding it for obvious reasons. It was a case of every other chair being out of bound at a feeble attempt at social distancing but having just been in there I've seen everyone sitting around as if the world is all hunky dory and we can all breathe on each other without worry :rolleyes:
I'll take my chances in the prep room!! Oh and not to forget that these are the educated ones with degrees as they constantly like to emphasise :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:. Roll on the end of term tomorrow :D:D
Having a degree (or several) still means they have no common sense at all - I'm sure there is an inverse square law there somewhere

Get in touch with your trade union, there is a legal requirement to provide you with a safe and suitable place to eat your lunch
I think most people, do have a staff room, usually, but are loathe to use it, usually because it's full or you don't want to be having to fend off kids knocking, teachers asking you questions etc.
The main point is finding somewhere quiet

I think most people, do have a staff room, usually, but are loathe to use it, usually because it's full or you don't want to be having to fend off kids knocking, teachers asking you questions etc.
The main point is finding somewhere quiet
That's fair enough, we have a staff room but choose to eat in a Prep room (that does have a clean computer area and no chemicals are stored in there) I was referring to TraceyLABTECH who posted the following:

That's fair enough, we have a staff room but choose to eat in a Prep room (that does have a clean computer area and no chemicals are stored in there) I was referring to TraceyLABTECH who posted the following:
I suppose she will get one eventually. We never used to have place to eat, we used Physics, as do others on here. Drove the Physics tech nuts though as it was used as a hang out place.
We have a science staff room but always teachers in there working, so you feel awkward. The main staff room has a 'quiet room' but you have to run gauntlet of kids to get there & if you have soup or something to heat up, the microwave is really a revolting health hazard.
I'm with a few techs on here that say they sit in their car! Only place you can get any peace I should think.

Before COVID I would join the science teachers in the science staff room, but since then, yes, I eat in the prep room. I have a desk where no prep, chemicals, or equipment is used, which is normally set aside for doing paperwork and the like. That's where I eat.