Iron Fillings

Greetings to everyone,

Teachers keep requesting for the iron fillings even though we have nails as well,

How should I collect the waste when it comes to the fillings?

Regards

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
The two are used for very different things so I would expect them to want both

What waste are you expecting from the filings? Unless they are reacting with chemicals I'd recycle them and use again

Don't give it to them unless they insist, it will only end up clogging the sinks.
I put out margarine tubs from the canteen as slop tubs for anything like metals & acid or displacement so I can filter it but as a rule NO filings for students

They request it for displacement reactions, I place the remains to the metals waste bowl (but of course some water goes in the bowl as well)

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
They request it for displacement reactions, I place the remains to the metals waste bowl (but of course some water goes in the bowl as well)
I use foil for all metals including iron foil. I cut it into squares the same size as the the copper, zinc and magnesium - so they are doing displacement like with like.

I use foil for all metals including iron foil. I cut it into squares the same size as the the copper, zinc and magnesium - so they are doing displacement like with like.

Do you use them again and again?

If yes, do they just need some rinsing or anything more?

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
Do you use them again and again?

If yes, do they just need some rinsing or anything more?
No as corroded by the chemicals but I can tip through sieve and bin (I suppose I could recycle the good stuff after rinsing but the iron will rust).

Be careful what sort of iron foil you get as a lot of suppliers will send stainless steel (which is effectively inert) you need mild steel.

Greetings to everyone,

Teachers keep requesting for the iron fillings even though we have nails as well,

How should I collect the waste when it comes to the fillings?

Regards
Ask them if they would like nails instead and remind them they are less messy. It is probably the worksheet they are using that lists iron filings.

For displacement reactions, buy a fresh bag of small steel nails (nails, not panel pins). Wash with propanone and allow to dry completely before putting out for use as the nails usually have a fine layer of oil on them.