Inset day inequality

Anyone's school doing this (which was announced this morning)
Been told so far that no staff needed on site on Friday. Pupils to have 'remote learning' that day. Friday is usually just a party and half day so not sure what's going on there. I'm TTO and shattered so it's a Pj day for me :sleeping:

Inset day here teachers worked twilights for them I am full time so asked if I could do the same and have last Friday off. The answer was No the reason teachers are doing training not working and I would be working, but I will still be working not training next Friday.
Can't sneak off early as we have to electronically sign in and out, records who you are and time. Not used to keep a check of course but for Health and Safety.:hazard2::toxic::flammable:.

Just same as clocking in and out.

Anyone's school doing this (which was announced this morning)
Yes. Had a lovely email from the Head this morning - school will be closed to EVERYONE on Friday........

"This decision will apply to all staff (both teaching and support staff)"

and:

"Any cleaning by our premises staff will now be scheduled on Thursday, so the school can close for Friday (staff at all levels deserve to benefit)."

Our normal closing day is Thursday anyway. I asked teaching union rep if we were closing any earlier ( had a few +ve cases in the last couple of days)
He said, you're joking, head would stay open longer if he could.

When the SLT wants the teachers to feel valued they give them "well-being day", when they want support staff to feel included and valued they give us.... appraisals
Funny how that works :rolleyes:
The way of the world and best of all SMT cant see the issues

Inset day here teachers worked twilights for them I am full time so asked if I could do the same and have last Friday off. The answer was No the reason teachers are doing training not working and I would be working, but I will still be working not training next Friday.
Can't sneak off early as we have to electronically sign in and out, records who you are and time. Not used to keep a check of course but for Health and Safety.:hazard2::toxic::flammable:.

Just same as clocking in and out.
could you ask to do training from home on Friday? you could do the cleapss online health and safety course, it's meant to be 4 hours, worth a try :)

I have always booked Christmas off, I work as close to Christmas eve as possible then off until after New Year.
Whilst working at a University, the University closed to all but maintenance staff and research centres between Christmas and New Year, without having to use holidays. I don't miss working there but I do miss the holidays.
My husband works at a university and gets time off then they are closed for the holidays (no need to use up holiday allowance). I work at a school and although they close for some of the Christmas break, I still have to use up my holiday allowance whether I want to or not!

The way of the world and best of all SMT cant see the issues
People usually don't see the issue if it's something that by default benefits them. The unfairness only gets acknowledged by putting a spotlight on it by kicking up a fuss.
It applies to so many things that were considered "the way of the world", slavery and women being unable to vote come to mind...
It made me think of my first job and this one year when the bursar announced that support staff won't get their 3 privilege days off, because the school was in the red (thanks to bursar and deputy head making a massive accounting mistake during school refurbishment). Looking back at it, it was so shady, unfair and probably illegal, but my young self didn't know better...

Just been told all teachers can working from home. All other staff will have training given by the Business Manager. Not sure what she can teach me so will tell them to P*** O** and sort out the Labs as I will be able to get in them and recover all the lost equipment. Do the think we have not been working during Covid. Role on retirement in July.

Just been told all teachers can working from home. All other staff will have training given by the Business Manager. Not sure what she can teach me so will tell them to P*** O** and sort out the Labs as I will be able to get in them and recover all the lost equipment. Do the think we have not been working during Covid. Role on retirement in July.
Well I've been piggy in the middle/referee between teachers & resources today. Makes me wish I could retire earlier than 67 ( 9 years away )

could you ask to do training from home on Friday? you could do the cleapss online health and safety course, it's meant to be 4 hours, worth a try :)
You should work from home.

Our head has decided that we will finish on the Thursday and add the day on in July, he has sent a timetable for the virtual carol service etc. reduced student day with 2 hours tidying for the teachers then a virtual meeting a 2pm.
:D