Informing premises of dangerous chemical orders

Dear all,

I would like to know if any of you have a system in place in order to inform your premises/reception when you have placed an order for dangerous chemicals? I am just trying to keep everybody safe on site and thinking it would help if staff are aware when dangerous chemicals are expected to arrive on site and should be taken to the preproom ASAP.

Thank you in advance

I produced a brief guidance document that has been given to all relevant staff and is displayed in reception. It is included in our departments' H & S documents.
As a matter of course, I do not order any chemicals to be delivered when I am not there if at all possible but I live locally anyway so can sort out any unexpected issues due to supplier delays.

Reactions: APM
Dear all,

I would like to know if any of you have a system in place in order to inform your premises/reception when you have placed an order for dangerous chemicals? I am just trying to keep everybody safe on site and thinking it would help if staff are aware when dangerous chemicals are expected to arrive on site and should be taken to the preproom ASAP.

Thank you in advance
We have a risk assessment that deals with all possible scenarios for a delivery of chemicals, who signs for it, handles the packages, the contents of the order etc. and who to contact. I send this to the office manager and the business manager for reference, I do track the order and try to get a date and time for the delivery by calling the suppliers. Also as @Chemgirl44 try to order when you are around. The turnover for a chemical order is usually about a week plenty of time to get ready for it. Hope it helps

We have a risk assessment that deals with all possible scenarios for a delivery of chemicals, who signs for it, handles the packages, the contents of the order etc. and who to contact. I send this to the office manager and the business manager for reference, I do track the order and try to get a date and time for the delivery by calling the suppliers. Also as @Chemgirl44 try to order when you are around. The turnover for a chemical order is usually about a week plenty of time to get ready for it. Hope it helps
Was this system already in place when you arrived or did you write the risk assessment yourself?
Thank you for your help Luis!

Was this system already in place when you arrived or did you write the risk assessment yourself?
Thank you for your help Luis!
I had to write a lot of the RA as there were none in place when I started here, those dealing with specific science tech activities, such as taking a delivery of chemicals. Your school must have a template for a general risk assessment somewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: APM
That's great, thank you.

I have written one now following CLEAPSS documentation. Business manager, premises and reception staff are aware of the procedure to follow. Feeling better!

As above, everyone's made aware of the hazards and we order for when we're around, and shoot an email to warn reception. Some suppliers still make the mistake of delivering to the school next door though... fortunately only ever equipment and not chemicals.

Then there's unexpected absences. The biotech was away a while back and had ordered some bacteria, which arrived early. I got a phone call from reception and went down to find an empty desk. A hand rose from behind the desk and used a pen to slowly slide the box in my direction...