IMS not actually IMS!

Has anyone else come across any bottles of IMS from Better Equipped that don't appear to contain any ethanol at all?!?
I bought some just before Christmas, so with lockdown etc, we haven't used it until now. I filled some spirit burners and didn't think much of the lack of smell or anything. Then when we lit the burners, only one would light. So of the 6 bottle I've bought only 1 is actually IMS, the others are more like just water...
I've spoken to Better Equipped and they are investigating this... According to their chemical suppliers there is nothing wrong their end and they've had no other compliants.

Oh and no before you ask, no one else has access to them to have refilled them with water or anything like that.

I was putting it into the spirit burners from the stock bottles, so its not evaporing!!!!
Definitely no naughty secret drinkers here!! And I think I'd know as its IMS.... they wouldn't be well!

As with Skeoch05, our alcohols evaporate away whilst not being used and next time you use them they are dry. I had the idea the other day to put each burner of methanol, ethanol, propanol and butanol x4 of each, into a resealable bag. Next time I use them I will find out if it worked or not. Fingers crossed :)

Last edited:
Like I said before it wasn't in the spirit burners! it was in the STOCK BOTTLE!!
so I have 5 STOCK BOTTLES that don't contain ethanol like they should.
Nothing to do with spirit burners, they just happen to be the thing I was filling at the time.

Like I said before it wasn't in the spirit burners! it was in the STOCK BOTTLE!!
Nothing to do with spirit burners, they just happen to be the thing I was filling at the time.
probably interface water from flushing the filling lines.

Julie Delaney

COMMITTEE
have you tired burning any on a watch glass just to check?

5 bottles being unusable is really quite poor, it doesn't say much for their quality control.
Do the bottles have batch numbers or anything on them? I wonder if the bottle that was fine has come from a different batch to the others.

Most of the IMS bottles I've come across have a plastic collar attached to the lid that you break off when you first open them.
Was it intact when you first received them?

5 bottles being unusable is really quite poor, it doesn't say much for their quality control.
Do the bottles have batch numbers or anything on them? I wonder if the bottle that was fine has come from a different batch to the others.
I know! they say they have not had any other reports of problems with this batch. All the same batch number weirdly!

Unfortunately these don't have that collar... but all were full and obviously appeared fine.