I'm coming to England

I would say come to Birmingham, but don't, there's nothing here....except of course our Christmas German market which is perfect if you like overpriced tat and want to join the guinness world record for the most number of disappointed people per square foot!
That is a good german market, but I am not close any more :D

Go up the East Coast to see York, Durham and Newcastle. The northern bit along the North Northumberland coast can be spectacular but will probably be misty in December.
While you're travelling up there, stop off at lindisfarne. You can walk across the causeway at low tide to a lovely island with a medieval monastery. Check the tide times though, you don't want to be stranded!

While you're travelling up there, stop off at lindisfarne. You can walk across the causeway at low tide to a lovely island with a medieval monastery. Check the tide times though, you don't want to be stranded!
Holy Island, went there on a school trip in year 7

Reactions: kaj

paul r

COMMITTEE
As for my neck of the woods- Leicester (pronounced less-tah, not lye-sess-ter): we've got the National Space Centre which is pretty cool, and Leicester Cathedral where Richard III is buried. Both worth visiting (when the visitor's centre near the cathedral's open at any rate).

We're the home of DNA fingerprinting, so that's fun, courtesy of Prof. Sir Alec (met him once, lovely bloke, smokes a lot though lol).

We have the best curry in the country (IMO) and the biggest Diwali celebration outside India (objectively)- well worth seeing if you can get the timing right, the lights are beautiful and the food's amazing.

There's also a big following for sportsball if that floats your boat.
better than my post on Less-tah !!

East beats west on curry ! :laughing:

I can see a curry war starting !!
A curry war we'll win. ;)

I do miss our old MVP though- the Curry Fever on Belgrave Rd. was my absolute favourite place to eat from when I discovered it at 16 to when it changed hands in my late 20s.
(It's still really good in its new incarnation, but I've never had anything as good since the Anands retired)

paul r

COMMITTEE
A curry war we'll win. ;)

I do miss our old MVP though- the Curry Fever on Belgrave Rd. was my absolute favourite place to eat from when I discovered it at 16 to when it changed hands in my late 20s.
(It's still really good in its new incarnation, but I've never had anything as good since the Anands retired)
There are a few old classics that I miss . Just love the variety now, every region in India is covered .

There are a few old classics that I miss . Just love the variety now, every region in India is covered .
Yes! The South Indian stuff is particularly nice- if you're in town on at lunchtime the buffet at Shivalli is to die for and very reasonably priced.

If you're on a canal boat and she's not too far away the Falkirk wheel is really cool!
There's also the Anderton Boat lift if she's more that way. There's also various aquaducts - Edstone, Pontcysyllte, Barton Swing Aquaduct (first and only), Marple (and others - the three famous and a local one :laughing:)

The National Justice Museum is cool too, just don't do what my friend and I did and traumatise a small child.

For the curious, the story is as follows:
One half-term, friend and I plan a fun day-trip around Nottingham- she's a teacher so we usually do something in the holidays.
Her babysitter gets the 'rona, so friend brings 5YO with us.
We have a great day- explore the caves, go for a curry, then last thing we have booked is the justice museum.
We spend an hour and a half being SUPER careful not to let 5YO hear any mention of murder, torture, hangings, witch burning, etc.
As we leave, we notice a courtroom re-enactment is about to start. What the hey, we decide to watch it to finish off the day.
I get picked to play a criminal for the audience participation. I play my part, get pronounced guilty as per the script (5 YO piping up adorably: "Emma wouldn't do [crime], Emma's good!") it's all good fun, then the black cap comes out and friend and I just make horrified eye contact.
Cue a very distressed 5 year old.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have loosely planned to base myself in Manchester with trips to London, Europe for 1 week with New Year in Switzerland, Train up to Edinburgh, Lake District, Blackpool illuminations, the South Coast and possibly some of Wales. First of all though I need to survive the almost 18 hour flight! Plus I would love to seek out the pencil museum as mentioned somewhere in this forum! I am not overly worried about the distances covered as my late husband used to drive road trains and we would think nothing of covering 3,000 km in a couple of days! That's probably the attitude I need to get me through the flight!

ajmc98

Don't lick, smell or touch it and you won't die.
Thanks everyone for your responses. I have loosely planned to base myself in Manchester with trips to London, Europe for 1 week with New Year in Switzerland, Train up to Edinburgh, Lake District, Blackpool illuminations, the South Coast and possibly some of Wales. First of all though I need to survive the almost 18 hour flight! Plus I would love to seek out the pencil museum as mentioned somewhere in this forum! I am not overly worried about the distances covered as my late husband used to drive road trains and we would think nothing of covering 3,000 km in a couple of days! That's probably the attitude I need to get me through the flight!
Depending what time you land make sure you get yourself a good hearty full english breakfast great for a hangover or recharge after a flight.

Are you flying into Manchester then?

This UK place sounds awesome! Wish I was a tourist ;)
I used to love taking my boys to all the sights & castles around UK.
Your trip sounds brilliant Tarbal!