I retire next week

That sounds like a very involved process! and interesting that they have chosen to rather have no-one than have the 'least worst' person even if they didn't meet the threshold.

I agree with LimeCat above, its an interesting scenario because just the other day there after putting in two application forms and attending two interviews, I now have two job offers and its the first time its EVER happened to me. In fact only the second and third time that i've not just got an instant 'Dear John'. As you say the number of adverts that have appeared over the last while has been far more than in previous years and I fear for the future of the students of those schools who might not end up getting a technician.

In my current place, the teachers can't even be ar*ed to put something back in a tray let alone wash it up after themselves if they had to, so if theres a situation here again where there is no technician, they will either have the whole department a mess within a week or there will be no practicals running ever again
are you staying as a technician or have you escaped? it would be a shame to loose another experienced tech

All the very best Carol, you will be missed on peproom. Don't give technicianing a second thought you deserve a wonderful retirement

Presumably your last day today. I hope they give you a lovely send off, and you get to enjoy the day. Good luck.

I totally agree with the first couple of comments made by fellow technicians. After being nearly 31 years in the job i've listened to all the promises, contributions and facts given by all commissions, governments, agencies etc. about improving and promoting technician roles.
Its heartbreaking that nothing seems to get done.
In 31 years of me being a technician i have actually got a "newbie" (well an apprentice) starting in September! Not somebody coming back into it or a retired teacher! A person who hopefully wants to go further in this job and has no preconceptions of the job.
I've got probably another 8/10 years left. That would be over 40+ years doing a job which i love. I would love to hand over the reigns to this person if they are still with me. What are the chances

That sounds like a very involved process! and interesting that they have chosen to rather have no-one than have the 'least worst' person even if they didn't meet the threshold.

I agree with LimeCat above, its an interesting scenario because just the other day there after putting in two application forms and attending two interviews, I now have two job offers and its the first time its EVER happened to me. In fact only the second and third time that i've not just got an instant 'Dear John'. As you say the number of adverts that have appeared over the last while has been far more than in previous years and I fear for the future of the students of those schools who might not end up getting a technician.

In my current place, the teachers can't even be ar*ed to put something back in a tray let alone wash it up after themselves if they had to, so if theres a situation here again where there is no technician, they will either have the whole department a mess within a week or there will be no practicals running ever again
Interesting.
Steve Jobs at CLEAPSS said 4 years ago at a conference that we were heading for a "perfect storm" regarding the technician job situation. He predicted (correctly) that there would be a chronic shortage of experienced technicians coming onto the market as the years go by unless something is done. This is all lining up.
I often browse the vacancies at the CLEAPSS website and I find myself scrolling endlessly through the sheer number of adverts.
We have the issue where young people don't want to enter the profession because of the low pay and the reputation and experienced technicians are retiring or leaving the job altogether. There is also little mobility of current technicians because we usually stay where we are if we are happy in the job plus lack of actual progression...
Talking of adverts appearing for sc. techs. in abundance , ....would i have any trouble finding a vacancy in the Grantham , Newark area of Nottingham / Lincolnshire as i am hoping to relocate to that area next year sometime ! and by the way Happy Retirement Carol , i came out of retirement last year and i am nearly 61 , ......finding that the job remains the same totally as it did when i went into it over 40 yrs ago ......low pay , ignorance of what we do , more work that one can cope with and expectation of what we should perform in the job way above the pay grade !!! ....:mad::mad::mad::mad: makes me see red most days of the week:(:(:(:(

Talking of adverts appearing for sc. techs. in abundance , ....would i have any trouble finding a vacancy in the Grantham , Newark area of Nottingham / Lincolnshire as i am hoping to relocate to that area next year sometime ! and by the way Happy Retirement Carol , i came out of retirement last year and i am nearly 61 , ......finding that the job remains the same totally as it did when i went into it over 40 yrs ago ......low pay , ignorance of what we do , more work that one can cope with and expectation of what we should perform in the job way above the pay grade !!! ....:mad::mad::mad::mad: makes me see red most days of the week:(:(:(:(
Only 3 schools in Newark, not seen any adverts for this area lately... keep your eyes peeled for mine in the coming months... I'm so fed up that I'm planning on going back into teaching!! :shocked: