I hate chasing orders that go 'missing' (My turn for a rant)

So after a week of waiting for fresh glue sticks and telling science teachers begging for them that they should be delivered soon, it turns out they were delivered at the same time as a package I actually did receive. No one else is allowed into the office so I find it hard to believe someone stole it. But it looks like someone has assigned it to the wrong person, so the site staff have sent it who knows where. They have no memory of delivering it, even though it was a little over a week ago. And sending out whole school emails is pointless because no one ever replies or owns up because 'Hey I got free glue and you can't find me haha', so I'm here chasing my tail following every lead down every dead end just to learn what I already know - they're long gone, and we'll have to spend yet more of the science budget on more and hope that whoever can't read in the office or site team gets it right on the second try.

Sorry, this is still a recent (as in ongoing recent) bugbear. I am fuming more than concentrated nitric acid right now.

We recently centralised stationery to the Main Office; staff have ask to borrow the key & then sign out what they take.
Saves me ordering & storing for Science, & no more hoarding (mostly) by staff !

ajmc98

Don't lick, smell or touch it and you won't die.
Get in contact with your finance dept. so they can forward delivery confirmations to you so you have an idea of when the delivery will be. Thankfully I don't have to deal with stationary in the science dept. and the admin staff are too scared to open anything with my name on thanks to the 90 lamb hearts which arrived the other week.

We're quite fortunate judging by what you've said...... all our invoices have to be signed off as "items received" by departments before finance will pay them - if I haven't had the stuff (for whatever reason - whether non-delivery, taken by someone else, sat in caretakers office, etc), I won't sign the invoice, and return it to the finance office - so it's amazing how quickly the missing items can be traced when finance start shouting about it......! :)

We recently centralised stationery to the Main Office; staff have ask to borrow the key & then sign out what they take.
Saves me ordering & storing for Science, & no more hoarding (mostly) by staff !
ooh I wish we could do that here. I don't mind ordering but I always feel like I have much more important things to do than make sure each lab has glue and scissors when the little treasures should have their own! I've loved it this year when we weren't allowed to give out anything that would be shared like sodding glue and scissors :mad: If we've managed it this year I don't see why we can't continue.

So after a week of waiting for fresh glue sticks and telling science teachers begging for them that they should be delivered soon, it turns out they were delivered at the same time as a package I actually did receive. No one else is allowed into the office so I find it hard to believe someone stole it. But it looks like someone has assigned it to the wrong person, so the site staff have sent it who knows where. They have no memory of delivering it, even though it was a little over a week ago. And sending out whole school emails is pointless because no one ever replies or owns up because 'Hey I got free glue and you can't find me haha', so I'm here chasing my tail following every lead down every dead end just to learn what I already know - they're long gone, and we'll have to spend yet more of the science budget on more and hope that whoever can't read in the office or site team gets it right on the second try.

Sorry, this is still a recent (as in ongoing recent) bugbear. I am fuming more than concentrated nitric acid right now.
Tell me about it!

The number of boxes of batteries that 'get lost' when they arrive. I wouldn't mind if they had a pack, but when you've ordered 10 packs and the whole lot vanish.....

We're quite lucky here as reception are pretty good at making sure deliveries get to the right department. We also have a system where deliveries have to be confirmed as received so if an order doesn't get to us for any reason we won't sign the invoice. Finance hate that so it tends to get things resolved pretty quickly.

I've managed to 'train' the reception people to notify me if there's science stuff (one is an ex-University lab tech) so haven't had stuff go missing recently. Stationery for science on the other hand...(sometimes)

For me the solution is to get the supplier to label it properly. I'll give them a couple of chances but If they don't do it (clearly stating my name and department) they don't get any orders. I've wasted too much time and money searching for lost stuff.

ooh I wish we could do that here. I don't mind ordering but I always feel like I have much more important things to do than make sure each lab has glue and scissors when the little treasures should have their own! I've loved it this year when we weren't allowed to give out anything that would be shared like sodding glue and scissors :mad: If we've managed it this year I don't see why we can't continue.
HoD insisted on glue and scissors in one lesson. I took it in and said loudly “they’ll need to keep them if you hand them out”. They never moved from the teachers desk.

Forever chasing deliveries or getting the wrong stuff. A suitably worded all school message usually results in the site team mysteriously finding it and delivering to the department half an hour later.

Whole school email did exactly what I expected it would (naff all), and the supplier confirmed that the packages were delivered, and who signed for them. Really frustrates me that even in a school, you can get such dishonest scheisters amongst the staff.

Saves me ordering & storing for Science, & no more hoarding (mostly) by staff
If I did that here the key would go missing! Never give keys out to the teachers, they'll never come back. But sounds like a good idea. :0)

So true! We've still been giving out pencils & rulers though. so many don't have the basic equipment . I'm always stunned that they go to exams without a pen, or a maths exam with no calculator. Then we get raided.

I hate doing this as well.

Deliveries are piled in reception. Most of the science ones have my name on it. I ordered 100 safety goggles recently. I saw the big box in reception and it had my name on it, but to make sure it went to me, I wrote "science" in massive letters across the top of the box. Did I get it? No. I came in after it had been in reception for 2 weeks to see that it wasn't there. Great, I thought, site team have delivered up to me. But no, it was nowhere to be seen in the science department. After investigating and having site team deny all knowledge of it, it was found amongst all the Covid PPE, box was open and a box of 10 goggles missing! I also recently had to chase some potassium metal that made its way to IT even though it clearly stated on the box all the dangers if it was to get wet etc. They sat on it for a few days before even noticing they had it. Site team will deliver things but not let anyone know. So they delivered it to IT when no one was in the office and it just sat there. IT is up in the science block (in there own office) so site team were close. Just not close enough!

HoD insisted on glue and scissors in one lesson. I took it in and said loudly “they’ll need to keep them if you hand them out”. They never moved from the teachers desk.
CLEAPSS told me we can quarantine/clean glue sticks and scissors.

So true! We've still been giving out pencils & rulers though. so many don't have the basic equipment . I'm always stunned that they go to exams without a pen, or a maths exam with no calculator. Then we get raided.
We keep a stock of exam pencil cases to sell if they need equipment. We were told NOT to sell any on the day of the exam. Since they'd managed to sell the entire stock in class time we couldn't anyway.

We once had a child try to buy a revision guide half an hour before their exam. :rolleyes: