HSE inspecting school for radiation

This just in from an RPS who has just had a HSE school inspection today (they passed the inspection and no enforcement taken):

Visit lasted 2.5 hours with the RPS
Reviewed the radiation folder documentation
Reviewed the last RPA inspection report for issues not completed
Inspected the source store and measured radiation dose around the store
Talked to technicians who book sources out/in
Talked to the Estate's Manager regarding radon risk assessment and radon monitoring
Finished visit with a talk with the Headmaster

Verbal discussions included RPS deputy provision, contingency plans and GM tube annual calibration

The HSE inspector said they will undertake about 200 school inspections initially

Hope that helps

Thanks

Tony

Last edited:
IF! They're only inspecting 90 schools in the country.

This just in from an RPS who has just had a HSE school inspection today (they passed the inspection and no enforcement taken):

The HSE inspector said they will undertake about 200 school inspections initially

I stand corrected. That's interesting info though, I wonder what's happened that they're doubling the numbers? Too many schools not up to scratch?

I stand corrected. That's interesting info though, I wonder what's happened that they're doubling the numbers? Too many schools not up to scratch?
I was under the impression that every school in England and Wales were to be inspected. If its a random sample group instead, I wonder how they are doing it.

HSE 'topics of interest' inspections usually last between 3-5 years.

There are x10 HSE radiation field officers, so it looks like each officer is assigned x20 inspections per year (initially), and if the programme of work lasts 5 years that could be the majority of schools visited.

Thanks

Tony

CovTech

Lvl 38 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
HSE 'topics of interest' inspections usually last between 3-5 years.

There are x10 HSE radiation field officers, so it looks like each officer is assigned x20 inspections per year (initially), and if the programme of work lasts 5 years that could be the majority of schools visited.

Thanks

Tony
10 inspectors doing 20 inspections would be 200
Over 5 years that'd be around 1000 schools

Last count there were nearly 3500 secondary school in the UK
As it's on the core curriculum you'd have to assume the majority have rad. sources

Visit lasted 2.5 hours with the RPS
Reviewed the radiation folder documentation
Reviewed the last RPA inspection report for issues not completed
Inspected the source store and measured radiation dose around the store
Talked to technicians who book sources out/in
Talked to the Estate's Manager regarding radon risk assessment and radon monitoring
Finished visit with a talk with the Headmaster

Verbal discussions included RPS deputy provision, contingency plans and GM tube annual calibration

Hope that helps

Thanks

Tony
any idea of how much notice they gave to the school before they showed up?

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
our sources are used with KS4&5, though I can see those without KS5 can do without. In Hampshire they mostly have 6th form colleges, I wonder how many secondary schools in Hampshire have soures?

It will also depend on how many schools / MAT's have actually registered with HSE - I am still finding schools who have not registered even though it's been almost 5 years since the requirement to do so

Thanks

Tony

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
It will also depend on how many schools / MAT's have actually registered with HSE - I am still finding schools who have not registered even though it's been almost 5 years since the requirement to do so

Thanks

Tony

If they are LA schools it is down to the LA to register, I organised registration at my last school but now work at an LA school. I have suggested they seek a copy of the registration but there was no enthusiasm.

If they are LA schools it is down to the LA to register, I organised registration at my last school but now work at an LA school. I have suggested they seek a copy of the registration but there was no enthusiasm.
Our LA RPO told us we needed to register and the school business manager said the LA does. I must check whether anyone found out if we're actually registered !

CovTech

Lvl 38 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
If you read the blurb from CLEAPSS it is the LA as they are the employer for State schools.
Comes down to the old delegation though doesn't it?

As the employer the LA is the one in the firing line if it's not done but if they've specifically told the schools to do their own then that's not unreasonable or uncommon

Hell we all know that we do most of the stuff even though it's up to the RPS - I do the counts, checks and leak tests but if they're not done it won't be me getting the metaphorical kicking ;)

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
Comes down to the old delegation though doesn't it?

As the employer the LA is the one in the firing line if it's not done but if they've specifically told the schools to do their own then that's not unreasonable or uncommon

Hell we all know that we do most of the stuff even though it's up to the RPS - I do the counts, checks and leak tests but if they're not done it won't be me getting the metaphorical kicking ;)

My reading of it was that only the employer can apply, and the LA will hold one registration for dozens of schools. I did suggest we ask for a copy but have heard nothing back. Beyond my paygrade so not my problem any more.