HSE inspecting school for radiation

......2. ensure a radon risk assessment has been completed by the school and radon monitoring has occurred if the school is in a radon affected area
This one I hadn't thought of at all.
Going to chase it up with the site manager right now!

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
This one I hadn't thought of at all.
Going to chase it up with the site manager right now!
I checked the map, we are in a really low area. Of course I don't know where they sourced the aggregate for the concrete, but judging by the low background counts I get no problem

Hi all - be aware if there are underground spaces on site which are accessed for more than 1 hour per week - basements, plantrooms, storerooms etc., these must be radon monitored irrespective of the % on the map

Thanks

Tony

that is on the standard "use log radioactive sources" on L93, does that not cover it?

We don't have writen local rules, just L93.
There are sheets that are included in L93 that need to be adapted to be relevant to your workplace. There might be more but certainly Section 6.6 pages 25-27 are generic and will benefit from a few changes written on them so they apply to your school. If you've done that already then that's hopefully fine. Ultimately I'm just passing on what I've been reliably informed, but it can't hurt to have everything written to cover yourselves.

Last edited:

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
We are a local authority school, if we need radon testing that's up to the LA. They are a bit odd when it comes to H&S so I'll leave them to it.

that is on the standard "use log radioactive sources" on L93, does that not cover it?

We don't have writen local rules, just L93.
Our RPA wanted our rules rewritten after last visit. We forwarded them to him but not heard anything about it.

If we don't have registration for use of radioactive sources, will they ignore us about potential Radon?

I know in 2020 HSE sent out letters re: radon to all schools (secondary and primary) within an area identified as greater 30%

Thanks

Tony

Effectively most of us are doing all the work of the RPS, we just keep putting bits of paper in front of them to sign. We are not responsible for it though, so that is a good thing.
I am the school RPS and a Technician... they wanted me to be that role, and my predecessor was also the school RPS.

CovTech

Lvl 38 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
I am the school RPS and a Technician... they wanted me to be that role, and my predecessor was also the school RPS.
Then they're taking advantage of you
Assuming you subscribe, the schools H&S advisor CLEAPSS says in no uncertain terms the RPS should be a teacher as we're simply not paid enough for that responsibility

Then they're taking advantage of you
Assuming you subscribe, the schools H&S advisor CLEAPSS says in no uncertain terms the RPS should be a teacher as we're simply not paid enough for that responsibility
I've done the training and do the practical stuff - but ultimately it's the RPS who is responsible. Does your school give you the authority to enforce your local rules?

CovTech

Lvl 38 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
I've done the training and do the practical stuff - but ultimately it's the RPS who is responsible. Does your school give you the authority to enforce your local rules?
Yeah same
Did the course, do the work, have delegated most of the paperwork/testing etc

If it's not done though I'm safe in the knowledge it'll never be my ass in a sling in front of the governors and that's how I like it

Hi all,

Just a heads up from a recent HSE radiation inspection this week of a school where enforcement has been issued:

1. ensure the source store cabinet is not in the same room as flammables e.g., chemical store - this is already CLEAPSS guidance

2. ensure a radon risk assessment has been completed by the school and radon monitoring has occurred if the school is in a radon affected area

Thanks

Tony
Hi Tony, I've pulled up the site manager on this point as our site is in a 1-3% zone. He's asked if the rules are different in Wales, as they can't source the information. Do you have a link to the Radon point by any chance?
pre-emptive thank you.