HSE inspecting school for radiation

Hi all,

Just a heads up from a recent HSE radiation inspection this week of a school where enforcement has been issued:

1. ensure the source store cabinet is not in the same room as flammables e.g., chemical store - this is already CLEAPSS guidance

2. ensure a radon risk assessment has been completed by the school and radon monitoring has occurred if the school is in a radon affected area

Thanks

Tony

Last edited:

Purple Cat

It's real Science not Rocket Science
Ours has hopefully now been removed from the School H&S policy, why nobody asked in the past from SLT as to whether we had any radioactives is beyond me.

2. ensure a radon risk assessment has been completed by the school and radon monitoring has occurred if the school is in a radon affected area
who would be responsible for this radon risk assessment? the site team/bursar/SBM?

HI Paul,

Yes, the school / MAT Bursar / BM / H&S Manager is responsible - i.e. it's a school / MAT H&S issue - it would be good practice for the RPS to have an awareness of radon on site and to have the conversation with the person responsible and bring it to their attention if the radon RA has not been completed.

Thanks

Tony

CovTech

Lvl 38 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
Myself and our RPS to be went on an RPS course yesterday. The opinion of the guy doing the course (based on reports from 10+ schools) is thus;
If you're inspected it won't be pleasant.
You'll get fined.
That'd be WHEN, not if.....

HSE stated their intention to visit every school registered

That'd be WHEN, not if.....

HSE stated their intention to visit every school registered
IF! They're only inspecting 90 schools in the country. So you have about 1 in 70 chance. Which has got less, now that at least 10 have been inspected.

Basically, they're self funding nowadays, so they get their money from enforcing. So they arrive looking to enforce, and it would appear they dig until they do.

CovTech

Lvl 38 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
IF! They're only inspecting 90 schools in the country. So you have about 1 in 70 chance. Which has got less, now that at least 10 have been inspected.

Basically, they're self funding nowadays, so they get their money from enforcing. So they arrive looking to enforce, and it would appear they dig until they do.
Where are you getting that figure from?

The only info the HSE put out that I've seen was:
To ensure that the risks to workers and students from radiation are managed effectively, from April 2022 HSE’s radiation team will be carrying out inspections in schools who hold registration for this type of work to review compliance with IRR17.

Direct from our RPO who has just been on a CLEAPSS conference involving talk of HSE inspections and from the RPA who delivered the course.

Myself and our RPS to be went on an RPS course yesterday. The opinion of the guy doing the course (based on reports from 10+ schools) is thus;
If you're inspected it won't be pleasant.
You'll get fined.
What will you get fined for?

HI Paul,

Yes, the school / MAT Bursar / BM / H&S Manager is responsible - i.e. it's a school / MAT H&S issue - it would be good practice for the RPS to have an awareness of radon on site and to have the conversation with the person responsible and bring it to their attention if the radon RA has not been completed.

Thanks

Tony
This is new to me. Will the HSE expect this requirement to have been completed?

CovTech

Lvl 38 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
This is new to me. Will the HSE expect this requirement to have been completed?
Only if you live in an area with a radon presence
You can search the UK Radon map (someone might even have linked it above) and find your area

If it has a colour your site manager must have had one done

With regard to HSE inspections - HSE Inspectors have 'topics' of interest' along with their regular visits, the last topic was inspecting vet practices and their x-ray sets - these topics usually last 3-5 years - the vets one ran from 2017-2022, so I would expect the x2 topics of inspections of schools and radon risk assessment to last the same time and they will combine the 2 where they can in one visit.

As CovTech states, if the school is in an area identified as having elevated radon levels on the UKRadon map , then the employer (school / MAT) must have completed a radon risk assessment and radon monitoring taken place and a radon policy as to how radon is managed -otherwise the likely outcome is an Improvement Notice served with costs.

Thanks

Tony

but what is a discrepancy, we passed the CLEAPSS RPO checklist.
I don't know. I do know that a guy on my course got done for not having it written down in his local rules that the sources need to be checked as present in the box before leaving the classroom after use.

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
I don't know. I do know that a guy on my course got done for not having it written down in his local rules that the sources need to be checked as present in the box before leaving the classroom after use.

In ours they have to lock the padlock, so I can't check them till i put them away.

that is on the standard "use log radioactive sources" on L93, does that not cover it?

We don't have writen local rules, just L93.