How would you guys have handled this situation?

Today, a student caught my by surprise by offering me a fist bump. Without thinking, I did it. I'm a bit uneasy with doing stuff like that with students (and if I wasn't caught off guard, I would probably refuse politely) but it's not that big of a deal. The student's in Y7 or 8. Today, there are no lessons and the whole school is working on costumes, plays etc for the end of the year so it's a more informal setting. However, a bit later, he called by my surname (which is Abdisalam) and Abdi as well. I ignored his several calls until he addressed me as Mr Abdisalam after which I stopped ignoring him. I was surprised he did this while the room had 2 other teachers in it. Of course, ignoring a student in front of other students is uncomfortable and I feel bad for him but that seemed like the right thing to do

How would you guys have handled this?

Here, all staff are referred to by students as Mr or Miss ... using their surname. I don't mind college students using my first name if they wish.
I would correct any student wrongly calling me by my first name and make sure the teacher hears it or knows about it, or just ignore him until he gets it right.
I avoid all physical contact with students (a habit formed during Covid). Fist bumps are usually responded to with 'nah, sorry, too busy' or something.
Some teachers are happy to fist bump. They probably know the students better than me.

I'm generally happy to reciprocate a fist bump as long as I'm not carrying anything.
I say to staff to call me Roo (my nickname) in private but in front of the pupils call me Dr Nicholson.

Staff usually are a bit half arsed about a lot of things that aren't teaching and call me all sorts of hybrids of this. Pupils used to try doing the same, but I really confuse the schnizz out of pupils by wearing dresses sometimes, motorbike gear and also a suit sometimes.

They tend to stick with "Sir!"
or sometimes miss, which is fine by me as long as they're not just being unkind.

edit: as mentioned earlier I don't do friendly with pupils either, generally keep to myself.

I return fist bumps and I prefer if students call me by my first name, but they're adults here (supposedly, hah!) so the dynamic is a bit different from a school. I have one student who insists on calling me sir which just confuses me, I keep looking behind me to see which teacher he's talking to...

......... then there's the argument that female staff should be called Ma'am rather than Miss as it is the equivalent social honorific to Sir.

I'll reciprocate to a fist bump,or even high five if I haven't got my hands full.
Students call me by my proper name or else!
(Usually Miss, or Sir)
One tried to call my by my nickname that the teachers use, told him he hadn't earned the right to do that yet, and he was most apologetic.

......... then there's the argument that female staff should be called Ma'am rather than Miss as it is the equivalent social honorific to Sir.
I was a supply teacher in a school where they called all the female staff Ma'am. Kept looking round to see who they were talking to!. Much prefer Miss.

Here the students call me Miss or Miss (last name). I don't really care what they call me, as long as it's kind, but I have to admit, "Miss" really grates on me (I'm NB and it just doesn't feel right!) but that's the default here so that's what I get. I would prefer they use my first name, but that's not allowed, I don't think.

Never been offered a fist bump. I would probably ignore it if I was because knowing our kids it would probably be some sort of trap/prank! :laughing:

Our HoD calls me this because he's come from a grammer school and private before that. Took me a little while to work out he was talking to me! He also wanders into the preproom and calls out Dr Smith which I know is me.

I normally get called Miss because the students don't know my name even though the teachers do say 'Dr Smith has set this out' etc but that's fine by me!

I also know a couple from outside of school and it really confuses them when they have to refer to me as Miss or Dr Smith than my first name!

I'll reciprocate to a fist bump,or even high five if I haven't got my hands full.
Students call me by my proper name or else!
(Usually Miss, or Sir)
One tried to call my by my nickname that the teachers use, told him he hadn't earned the right to do that yet, and he was most apologetic.
I don't hold back on high fives, so I don't return those. I might end up injuring them. Stems from me and our old site manager being good mates. We worked together for years prior to coming to the school, and one of our rituals was full on high fives. Some of them made such noise that people thought someone had been slapped.

We also invented the 'Ice Five', where you stuck you hands in a cup of ice water for 5 minutes before commencing the high five.

That was a mistake that shan't be repeated. :laughing:

I prefer Your Ladyship... But as I've always been called by my first name,
unless they're taking the p*ss,
I'm cool with that & any related hand-greetings (I've invented 1 or 2)...

They know your name?
I am Tonytech, legend in my own lunchtime (Thanks Douglas Adams)
I used to drive a VW transprter, as a member of 'Club 80-90' (vans mufactured between 1980 and 1990 and nothing to do with the average age of members.) I had "Tonytech" emblazoned accross the windscreeen, bit tricky to deny who I am.
Due to an IT cockup I have an email adddress that uses my birth certificate name, not the one everyone knows me by.... 20 odd years on I dont think its worth changing now.

I would have returned the fist bump I think. With regards to the name thing I would be more likely to say something along the lines of “Sorry, were you talking to me? My name’s actually Mr …”

Here we are called Mrs surname though occasionally I have noticed teachers can’t recall our surname so resort to Miss.

Back