How would you deliver hydrogen perioxide?

Soo, I have a teacher requesting hydrogen peroxide in measuring cylinders to show its decomposition.

The room is in the other end of the school and I am thinking that I would usually put a stopper in the cylinders to stop spillages but I am concerned that this may be a hazard due to any pressure building up in the cylinders.

Alternatively, I could just find a screw container that is smaller and get the teacher to pour it in?

In the past (and in the science lab) I would bring in the container and pour it myself.

CLEAPSS advises against moving any solutions in open containers where possible

There is no need for it to be supplied in measuring cylinders - they can decant it once it's in the room
I'll give her the main container it comes in I guess (its quite big)

If you're taking it to a room at the other end of school does that mean its not a science lab? Should you even be doing that, there's no way we would here.

CovTech

COMMITTEE
Are you buying it in diluted, cos 100vol shouldn't be used by anyone below year 12 anyway
If you are buying weaker stuff then decant it into conicals with a stopper - it won't pop the cork if you do it close to the start of the lesson

Also like Mandy said, with something like hydrogen peroxide if it isn't a lab then no way it'd be going out

If you're taking it to a room at the other end of school does that mean its not a science lab? Should you even be doing that, there's no way we would here.
Its the HoD asking (so its on her...).

I mean, I can give her the lab coast, specs etc.

I believe all technicians can do is advise (and not stop)?

CovTech

COMMITTEE
It's a demo for the HoD to use
Her H&S is just as important as the students - is there provision for eye washing cos hydrogen peroxide without would be a definite no-no
Likewise even it is just her doing a demo the rest of the class would need safety specs in case she tripped and spilled it over the front row

Its the HoD asking (so its on her...).

I mean, I can give her the lab coast, specs etc.

I believe all technicians can do is advise (and not stop)?

If there's a potential health and safety issue then the technicians absolutely can stop things. Have you confirmed she's done a risk assessment on what she would do if there was a spillage or it splashed into her eye?

Her H&S is just as important as the students - is there provision for eye washing cos hydrogen peroxide without would be a definite no-no
Likewise even it is just her doing a demo the rest of the class would need safety specs in case she tripped and spilled it over the front row
Nope (at least running water apart from staff toilets).

All the students should be seated - will goggles for the first row be suffice?

Think I will just ping an email just incase.

For a demo I decant the required amount into screw topped bottles. This way the teacher can't "add a bit more to get a better reaction", they can only use what the demo states they should be using! We're doing decomposition of peroxide using catalysts so I give 4 small bottles of peroxide, one for each measuring cylinder/catalyst.

and you need to plan for getting it back, unless there is a sink nearby.

If there's a potential health and safety issue then the technicians absolutely can stop things. Have you confirmed she's done a risk assessment on what she would do if there was a spillage or it splashed into her eye?
Emailed her :)
For a demo I decant the required amount into screw topped bottles. This way the teacher can't "add a bit more to get a better reaction", they can only use what the demo states they should be using! We're doing decomposition of peroxide using catalysts so I give 4 small bottles of peroxide, one for each measuring cylinder/catalyst.
Yeah that's what I am doing.

For me the issue is mainly the pressure buildup but I might be exaggerating it - better safe than sorry!

If these are not science labs, then how would they deal with spillage and splashes in those rooms. for example if the teacher or pupil gets 100 vol hydrogen peroxide on their skin where do they wash it off, what about eye wash stations. etc.

EXACTLY.

And guess what?

The cleanest thing on the trolley of items was the bowl for dirty equipment and the unused lab coat/safety specs!

Couldn't believe it when I collected it (it is our head of department!)

I even left a label on the tray for her to do the practical in (and it was SPOTLESS).