How to dispense antibacterial discs for OCR PAG 7.1

Dear all,

We have a microbiology practical coming up (Antibiotic discs on inoculated agar plates). How do you normally dispense the antibiotic discs for each student to use? I was thinking of a labelled petri dish with the 4 discs in there ready for each student to use but worried that they would get mixed up if students don't pay attention and shake the petri dish by accident. Any suggestions?

Best regards

Dear all,

We have a microbiology practical coming up (Antibiotic discs on inoculated agar plates). How do you normally dispense the antibiotic discs for each student to use? I was thinking of a labelled petri dish with the 4 discs in there ready for each student to use but worried that they would get mixed up if students don't pay attention and shake the petri dish by accident. Any suggestions?

Best regards
Are they on tubes with clickers (Ejectors), they just pass the round.

Are they on tubes with clickers (Ejectors), they just pass the round.
yes we do have those but I was trying to get away from students having to pass them round. I wanted students to have everything they need in one tray with no sharing of equipment.

Put out a couple of labelled, sterile pots of each antibiotic disc/plant extract or whatever is requested and let the teacher dish them out

Reactions: APM

clairelucas

COMMITTEE
Apologies, but as we're doing the same, but we are sharing them around. Does that mean your spreaders or loops, and pipettes etc are all separately autoclaved, so sterile and individually wrapped per student pair?

Apologies, but as we're doing the same, but we are sharing them around. Does that mean your spreaders or loops, and pipettes etc are all separately autoclaved, so sterile and individually wrapped per student pair?
It's a small class so yes, individual sterile spreader and other equipment.

Does that mean your spreaders or loops, and pipettes etc are all separately autoclaved, so sterile and individually wrapped per student pair?
wire loops go in the flame
Glass spreader and forceps can be sterilised with ethanol and flamed
Pipettes would need plugging with cotton wool and sterilising (oven or autoclave), but usually I use sterile 1ml syringes.

All our equipment, glass spreaders, forceps and glass pipettes are autoclaved as well and left in the autoclave bag until they are needed. Ceramic tiles or anything that cannot be autoclaved is soaked in virkon for 12 hrs/ overnight so we know there isn't any contamination on our part.