how do you handle teachers who have big egos?

Look up 'Betari's Box' which might help - the only way is to make sure their behaviour doesn't affect you attitude - break the cycle

View attachment 11201
Betari's box describes how people can get locked into a vicious or virtuous circle of communication, based on how their attitudes and behaviour respond to each other.
I'm going to print his & put it by the Prep door to remind me to 'take a breath' !

Paul Murphy

COMMITTEE
I had one calling themselves "head of chemistry" (they weren't).

"I want ethanol absolute"

"You're getting IDA."

"No, I NEED eth absolute"

"No, you don't."

"I DO!"

"You don't. Listen to the tech who's prepped this for 7 years. You're GETTING IDA."

"I'm more qualified than you, I know what I need!!"

"I'm more experienced than you, I know what you're getting."

"It's not the same!!"

"Look at the chemical formula."

"No, it's not the same."

"LOOK at it."

"I..oh...it is what I need. But that's not ethanol...that's IDA..why is it labelled differently?!"

"It has many labels. IDA, IMS, Meths, ethanol..it's not the label, it's the formula that matters. This is what you're getting."

Walked off.. :laughing:
When I started my current post (11 years ago), absolute alcohol was the only alcohol available. Five litres had been purchased before I started (they must have had more money then). We had to prepare "Testing a leaf for starch", it didn't work. All the leaf went completely white. Apparently, this had been the case for a couple of years. During a lull in practicals I tried it myself and again all the leaf went white. At the back of the flammables cupboard I found a small amount of IDA, so I tried that and it worked. I tried again and it worked and again with absolute alcohol, it didn't work. Upon further research I found that absolute alcohol not only strips the leaf of its chlorophyll but its starch also. Considering the previous tech was a horticulturist and that I consider myself to be a physicist, that was one up for the new guy....:)

LOL, that wouldn't work with me. My reply would be, " Why don't we have a séance & ask her?"
Awkward! I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

'Where are you going on holiday' is perhaps better - although dodgy with the cost of living as it is.
I can't win!!

But I am a bit off topic.

The line manager in a previous job knew it all, and felt he was one of an elite group of people (the few) who should be allowed to vote - apparently most people are underlings and not on the same intellectual plane.

Apparently being a tech is a doddle and he is going to do it when he hits middle age. (Seriously? Massive drop in pay? Not that clever then...)

Egomaniac does not quite cover it.

I did laugh when I left, the department was in chaos with warring factions between faculties and two heavy duty passive aggressives.

We had a teacher with an ego who kept saying to me, 'In my last school we did/had/it was... ' my standard replies... 'Good for you or, You don't say...' in a Sybil Fawlty 'Oh, I know' tone, sharp shut them up.

D

Deleted member 32724

We had a teacher with an ego who kept saying to me, 'In my last school we did/had/it was... ' my standard replies... 'Good for you or, You don't say...' in a Sybil Fawlty 'Oh, I know' tone, sharp shut them up.

Yup, I had a chemistry teacher like that in the past. Should have said, "well, you shouldn't have left then" :mad:.
She got on my whiskers.

I'll never forget the week she did a practical EVERY lesson except one. I was thinking...at least she didnt ask for something here. Didn't finish thinking it, she burst in and said "Oh, forgot something I need to add"... yeah you guessed it.

Oh she'd get the right hump if I so much implied I have 4 other teachers to prep for. She literally took about 70% of my week despite being 1 of 5 teachers.

Some teachers think you're their PA. Thankfully the rest of the teachers were reasonable/felt sorry for me? But it annoyed me that everyone else had to lose out on practical work so she could hog the technician for herself. Sadly, as lovely as the HoD was, he didn't want to manage the situation and let her go free reign at the expense of the rest of the department. Obviously I ended up leaving...shortly after everyone else did, including her lol.

CovTech

Lvl 38 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
We had that once

I told him the technicians in his old school were clearly idiots for putting up with that crap..... :laughing:

My dad says that when people telephone asking to speak to my mum. She passed away in 2008
Lost my mum in 2018...DVLA sent through a thing about renewing her license last year (and taxing the car, which they know full well no longer exists).

I sighed. Called them. "Yes, Mrs Rowlands needs to renew her license..and the car tax."

"That might be a problem. You see, as Doc Brown would say...where she's gone, they don't need roads.."

"How do you mean?"

"ah, youth. I mean, she's in a pot on my mantlepeice. She is an ex driver. She's on no use to cars at all unless it snows and I need something to grit the drive. She's dead, dear."

"Oh...er...right....er..."

"You WERE told.."

:laughing:

LOL, that wouldn't work with me. My reply would be, " Why don't we have a séance & ask her?"
I know this is off topic but my very difficult ex HOD now "just a teacher" has put the mirror from his deceased mothers house on the wall in my prep room in case he gets anything in his eyes and needs to check. I m terrified to look in it when I walk past

CovTech

Lvl 38 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
I know this is off topic but my very difficult ex HOD now "just a teacher" has put the mirror from his deceased mothers house on the wall in my prep room in case he gets anything in his eyes and needs to check. I m terrified to look in it when I walk past
Next time you have external workers in doing he fume hood, ventilation or PAT checks stick a hammer through it and blame them ;)

Dino Girl

My Bite is worse than my Bark.
Take a step back and let them have enough rope to hang themsleves.

Keeping records of requests (preferably by email) is a winner.

Or as a last result silver nitrate around the edge of his / her safety goggles? (JK).

Dino Girl

My Bite is worse than my Bark.
It's the teachers who don't have a reflection you need to worry about - garlic mitosis anyone????

As I was tempted to walk out at 8 am this morning I don't know.

Senior tech is out, I was going to send an email about no late reqs as I am now going to have to do all of the reqs for the week.
HoD, I put in some late orders can you access the sheet. Yes but I may not be able to do them as I am now on my own.

Why you are not busy there are no year 11 and 13 practicals.

Could of swung for him

Purple Cat

It's real Science not Rocket Science

Senior tech is out, I was going to send an email about no late reqs as I am now going to have to do all of the reqs for the week.
HoD, I put in some late orders can you access the sheet. Yes but I may not be able to do them as I am now on my own.

Could of swung for him
What do they think you do as a job? I would have ripped them a new one.

Could of swung for him

Taking the complete mickey. There's more to being a tech than putting stuff on a trolley and wheeling it out