Holes in bungs

Hello
Does anyone have a top tip for making the holes in the bungs wider?
I've been using a cork borer and its hard work. I'm trying to make some simple distillation kits, I have the right sizes bungs but can'nt get the thermometer and glass tubing in with the current hole size.
:cool:

Find the borer size you want, use a drill and go slow through, use a drill bit thats 2-3mm smaller than you need

Hello
I've been using a cork borer and its hard work. I'm trying to make some simple distillation kits, I have the right sizes bungs but can'nt get the thermometer and glass tubing in with the current hole size.
are you lubricating it?

Yes lubricating the thermometer and glass tubing, but they are not big enough. All bungs appear to come with the same size holes.
The previous technician ended up at A&E trying to do the same thing. Glass tube through his hand.
I guess the answer is a drill or in my case a visit to our DT department

Purple Cat

It's real Science not Rocket Science
I select a cork borer that the glass tube will slip in (say a No.5) and put to one side.
Select a cork borer to fit the hole in the bung (say No.3) and put in bung from the bottom, put a No.4 in the top, then No. 5 in the bottom and put the glass tube in, pull No.5 borer out.

I can't do more than about 8 - 10 at any one time, my hands end up wrecked

The alternative;

Hello
Try washing up liquid as a lubricant and use small cork borers if you have them, increasing in size as you go. It still takes time

I think Paul mean are you lubricating the cork borer when using it? - I find that they need lubricating constantly throughout the task and I use fairy liquid, but yer few at a time.
I also use cork borer to put glass tubes in. So fined the size that just fit the bungs hole without any effort, find the sizer the glass tube needs, put the smallest in first and lube up the next size slide over the top.. and keep adding just one size up with lubrication on each one till you reach one you can just slide the glass tube in then slide the borer out, much safer. (there is often a specific order you need to start with putting the borers in to get them the right way around but you get the knack fairly quickly)

I think Paul mean are you lubricating the cork borer when using it? - I find that they need lubricating constantly throughout the task and I use fairy liquid, but yer few at a time.
I also use cork borer to put glass tubes in. So fined the size that just fit the bungs hole without any effort, find the sizer the glass tube needs, put the smallest in first and lube up the next size slide over the top.. and keep adding just one size up with lubrication on each one till you reach one you can just slide the glass tube in then slide the borer out, much safer. (there is often a specific order you need to start with putting the borers in to get them the right way around but you get the knack fairly quickly)
Yes, it should just slide in, wear gloves though.

what size tubing are you using.

Use a cork borer sharpener. Surprising how blunt they get.
When I've needed large hole in a bung, I've heated the borer & melted my way through. But then, I like burning & melting stuff.:rolleyes:
Works though, watch your fingers.

All good tips so far.
From personal experience I would definitely recommend that you wear gloves. Once the hole is ready, make sure it is well lubricated before attempting to stretch it otherwise you might injure yourself when inserting....wait what are we talking about again?

All good tips so far.
From personal experience I would definitely recommend that you wear gloves. Once the hole is ready, make sure it is well lubricated before attempting to stretch it otherwise you might injure yourself when inserting....wait what are we talking about again?
Gloves are a good idea but not an absolute requirement but each to their own.

I select a cork borer that the glass tube will slip in (say a No.5) and put to one side.
Select a cork borer to fit the hole in the bung (say No.3) and put in bung from the bottom, put a No.4 in the top, then No. 5 in the bottom and put the glass tube in, pull No.5 borer out.

I can't do more than about 8 - 10 at any one time, my hands end up wrecked

The alternative;

This is the method I use too. I wear rubber washing up gloves for extra grip as I'm turning the cork borer and add a little bit of washing up liquid to the bung for lubrication.

It's really difficult to make holes larger in rubber bungs, as the borer or drill,(whichever method you use) will slip into the existing hole as the rubber stretches because it's unsupported.
If you have enough bungs then I would use new bungs and bore the size you need, much less hassle in my experience.

Hello
You can sharpen the borers too. I did with mine and they worked with less effort from me and my sore hands.

Thanks for all your advice. I think the problems was that the borers needed sharpening but the number 3 borer was too narrow for the tool, the knife just wasn't touching it.
So i visited the DT chap who was ace and drilled all the holes I needed.
needed two in each one for a thermometer and one for glass tubing. If this can help anyone, the drill size used for the thermometer was 7 and for the glass tubing 7.5
He did me enough that I won't have to go back again in a hurry1