Hello from Manchester !

Hi there. I am a sole technician that came into the job as a complete newbie too. That was early last year. I asked a lot of questions of the teachers, joined this forum and muddled my way through. I set up my own systems so that I know it works for me and I used google and you tube a lot!!
I was born in Manchester and now live in the middle of Australia in Alice Springs.

hey all, new technician here originally from yorkshire working at a high school in manchester :)
just wanted to say hi, and ask if you guys have any advice at all for a complete newbie?- I've never worked this role before and it's a little daunting haha
My advice? CLEAPSS are your best friend (http://science.cleapss.org.uk/)..... Absolutely essential! Loads of vital information, good guidance, etc - spend some time browsing their website and getting used to where everything is. A lot to take in, but well worth the investment of time. Maybe do the free "Technician Health & Safety" course they have available at the moment too : http://science.cleapss.org.uk/Resou...and-Safety-Online-Course-Session-1-video.aspx
:cleapssadvice:

Your other best friend is this forum - ask any questions you need to, and someone will know the answer....! The only stupid question is the one you don't ask..... and then everything goes pear-shaped.....! :eek:

Welcome, and good luck! :)

Last edited:
Born in Yorkshire - lived 20 years in Manchester - Schools worked at - The Marist High School then St Thomas Aquinas and finally Sale Boys Grammar. Now back in North Yorkshire - yes this forum, and CLEAPSS are your best sources of help - Make sure your school subscribes to CLEAPSS if they do you need the password - ask your HoD.

Do you work with other technicians or solo? When I started many moons ago my fellow techs were very supportive and I even found a couple of teachers were willing to spend time with me showing me how to set things up. It was also good to form friendships with other support staff, not for science advice but to find out the best ways of getting things done within the organisation - who to approach about maintenance issues, who in the kitchen would let us have last minute supplies etc. The best advice I was ever given was to get onside with the cleaners, kitchen staff and maintenance crew, they can really help get you out of a jam. Failing that, feel free to pick our brains on here, and as everyone else has said, CLEAPSS are great, try to get on a couple of their courses if you can.

My advice? CLEAPSS are your best friend (http://science.cleapss.org.uk/)..... Absolutely essential! Loads of vital information, good guidance, etc - spend some time browsing their website and getting used to where everything is. A lot to take in, but well worth the investment of time. Maybe do the free "Technician Health & Safety" course they have available at the moment too : http://science.cleapss.org.uk/Resou...and-Safety-Online-Course-Session-1-video.aspx
:cleapssadvice:

Your other best friend is this forum - ask any questions you need to, and someone will know the answer....! The only stupid question is the one you don't ask..... and then everything goes pear-shaped.....! :eek:

Welcome, and good luck! :)
Thank you !! and thank you for the CLEAPSS online h&s course, I had no idea that existed :laughing:

Hi there. I am a sole technician that came into the job as a complete newbie too. That was early last year. I asked a lot of questions of the teachers, joined this forum and muddled my way through. I set up my own systems so that I know it works for me and I used google and you tube a lot!!
I was born in Manchester and now live in the middle of Australia in Alice Springs.
haha i definitely think i'll be getting plenty of use out of youtube :laughing:

Do you work with other technicians or solo? When I started many moons ago my fellow techs were very supportive and I even found a couple of teachers were willing to spend time with me showing me how to set things up. It was also good to form friendships with other support staff, not for science advice but to find out the best ways of getting things done within the organisation - who to approach about maintenance issues, who in the kitchen would let us have last minute supplies etc. The best advice I was ever given was to get onside with the cleaners, kitchen staff and maintenance crew, they can really help get you out of a jam. Failing that, feel free to pick our brains on here, and as everyone else has said, CLEAPSS are great, try to get on a couple of their courses if you can.
thank you !! i'm a sole technician, working at a new school that hasn't had one before so i'm very much starting from scratch with everything haha. aye i think a big worry is knowing who exactly to ask when it comes to non-sciencey things, especially last minute supplies :laughing: thanks for the advice!!

Hi! I’m a brand new sole technician too, I’ve got a well established prep room that the old tech left a great inventory for (which is now my bible!), but I had no direct handover so it’s still pretty daunting! I think this forum might be a big help with that

Born in Yorkshire - lived 20 years in Manchester - Schools worked at - The Marist High School then St Thomas Aquinas and finally Sale Boys Grammar. Now back in North Yorkshire - yes this forum, and CLEAPSS are your best sources of help - Make sure your school subscribes to CLEAPSS if they do you need the password - ask your HoD.
You can ask CLEAPSS for the password, doubt the HoD will know it.