Hello all :)

Hi all! I've recently discovered this wonderful site! I am a former teacher and now a newbie tech in a senior tech role, which is really nerve wracking. I work with one other lovely colleague and between us, we set up practicals for 10 science teachers. There is so much I don't know, which will be a nice challenge. Enjoying the sideways move so far and it's so lovely working in my own "office" each day, going home and being able to switch off (as much as one can with a young child!).

Looking forward to nosey-ing round this informative site in the coming days/weeks/months!

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
Snap! I was a biology teacher for 11 years and now a lone technician for all three sciences. Got no training and get no CPD. You are in for some surprises and some shocks as well - If any senior managers wanted to know what the science teachers are like - the best people to speak to are the technicians - we know who can control a class and who can't. We see all the damage that is done, we hear the behaviour issues staff have.

My most important priority is to make sure everything works and to that end I do my best - nothing puts kids off science more than experiments that don't work or staff who avoid practicals at all costs.

Hi SciTechNewbie, welcome to teching. I bet you didn't realise how much goes on behind the scenes, you'll pick it up and don't be afraid to ask. We were all new to it too once

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
Don't get fooled with the old excuse .... "Sorry, I haven't cleared the stuff up because it was too hot and it had to be left to cool down". What they really mean is "I hadn't planned the lesson properly and hadn't built in time to cool things down and clear up" or even worse " I hadn't cleared up because I can't control the kids so they mess about and break things, I can't trust them to clear up safely".

Hi all! I've recently discovered this wonderful site! I am a former teacher and now a newbie tech in a senior tech role, which is really nerve wracking. I work with one other lovely colleague and between us, we set up practicals for 10 science teachers. There is so much I don't know, which will be a nice challenge. Enjoying the sideways move so far and it's so lovely working in my own "office" each day, going home and being able to switch off (as much as one can with a young child!).

Looking forward to nosey-ing round this informative site in the coming days/weeks/months!
Welcome to the site, I hope you enjoy your new role.

Snap! I was a biology teacher for 11 years and now a lone technician for all three sciences. Got no training and get no CPD. You are in for some surprises and some shocks as well - If any senior managers wanted to know what the science teachers are like - the best people to speak to are the technicians - we know who can control a class and who can't. We see all the damage that is done, we hear the behaviour issues staff have.

My most important priority is to make sure everything works and to that end I do my best - nothing puts kids off science more than experiments that don't work or staff who avoid practicals at all costs.
Nice to meet you!

I agree! Science practicals that do work are SO important. Nothing like a "rubbish" practical to demotivate an already demotivated class.

I have already got an agreement for CPD, which I am so happy about. It's really tough to recruit technicians where I am (low pay, relatively high housing costs) so at least I know they will be supportive in the training respect.

Don't get fooled with the old excuse .... "Sorry, I haven't cleared the stuff up because it was too hot and it had to be left to cool down". What they really mean is "I hadn't planned the lesson properly and hadn't built in time to cool things down and clear up" or even worse " I hadn't cleared up because I can't control the kids so they mess about and break things, I can't trust them to clear up safely".

Hah hah - can't say I wasn't guilty of some of those :p