Heating mantle and quick fit

I know this is an old post but I have something to add from my college's experience - sixth form chemistry. Having bought several heating mantles they found they couldn't use them all at the same time as a class because it overloaded the electric circuits. So one is used for demos but when it comes to class practicals they use a burner and water and small volumes of flammables. The building is not so old, but the circuits couldn't handle the heavy load of several heating mantles at the same time. So check with your estates team before splashing out on the equipment!

Even new(ish) buildings suffer from this sort of poor design.

Janeylou

Madbird
Hi all. Thanks for the thread. I've gained some useful knowledge. I've just been tasked by our Chemistry Doc to source pretty much the same stuff on here. Again, this is the first time I have encountered sand baths and heating mantles (never used either) and as we now have our sixth form open I am constantly getting new asks.

It would be financially prohibitive to purchase a range of sizes of heating mantles so my idea would be to get the 250 capacity ones which could then be used for that and the smaller vessels. Theoretically this would work if I can use the mantles as sand baths. Is this possible or do the mantles work in an entirely different way?

Thanks all!

Hi all. Thanks for the thread. I've gained some useful knowledge. I've just been tasked by our Chemistry Doc to source pretty much the same stuff on here. Again, this is the first time I have encountered sand baths and heating mantles (never used either) and as we now have our sixth form open I am constantly getting new asks.

It would be financially prohibitive to purchase a range of sizes of heating mantles so my idea would be to get the 250 capacity ones which could then be used for that and the smaller vessels. Theoretically this would work if I can use the mantles as sand baths. Is this possible or do the mantles work in an entirely different way?

Thanks all!
chemistry teachers seems to think we can put smaller ones in the large size, we are trying the edulab basics ones.

not been delivered yet.

Janeylou

Madbird
chemistry teachers seems to think we can put smaller ones in the large size, we are trying the edulab basics ones.

not been delivered yet.
Actually looking at the Edulab site right now. Decent price. When you get them, give us a review on how they are. Definitely interested in them at this price!

We are doing this experiment for the first time with our first batch of year 13s.
Will watch this thread keenly.
Thank you for the tips everyone

Hi Paul, can you please share the link for the edulab ones?

the Heating Mantle 250ml – Essentials are £45.90 excl. VAT and they will give a 10% discount if you generate a quote from the shopping basket.

the Heating Mantle 250ml – Essentials are £45.90 excl. VAT and they will give a 10% discount if you generate a quote from the shopping basket.
Thanks a lot.

Did you buy the jointware in kit or separately? And where?

Thanks all!
Can I ask what you teachers want a sand bath for. In my university tech days I used them were I might be heating a reaction for many days, or when I needed to get to temps of 300C plus for a reaction.
Here we have to heating mantles for demos of distillation including fractional. It shows the student there are other ways of heating available.

We've got these heating mantles and they are good. Rather expensive if you need to buy a set in one go though.

Thanks a lot.

Did you buy the jointware in kit or separately? And where?
We've bought the bits separately but you can buy organic chemistry kits. Worth comparing to see what works out cheaper. Most of the suppliers sell Quickfit. Just remember to make sure all the joints are the same size. I haven't tried any of the cheaper versions of Quickfit.

We've bought the bits separately but you can buy organic chemistry kits. Worth comparing to see what works out cheaper. Most of the suppliers sell Quickfit. Just remember to make sure all the joints are the same size. I haven't tried any of the cheaper versions of Quickfit.
Thank you

I found this just now.

Can anyone tell me if this is suitable for OCR PAG 5.2 and 6.2

Sorry, I am asking so many questions. I don't know much about these different pieces of glassware in the kit

I found this just now.

Can anyone tell me if this is suitable for OCR PAG 5.2 and 6.2

Sorry, I am asking so many questions. I don't know much about these different pieces of glassware in the kit
looks fine for those two. I think there is one where they need either a two-neck adaptor or a two-neck flask; but I can't remember which pag it is (or it might not even be a pag) and you could probably just skip it if the skills were covered elsewhere.

looks fine for those two. I think there is one where they need either a two-neck adaptor or a two-neck flask; but I can't remember which pag it is (or it might not even be a pag) and you could probably just skip it if the skills were covered elsewhere.
Thanks a lot. Will order soon.
I can relax now in the weekend :)

Be aware that mantles come in two shapes. Those for round-bottomed flasks and those for pear shaped flasks. You can use r/b flasks in the pear ones but not the other way round - at least, not with any efficiency.