Heating mantle and quick fit

A chemistry teacher has asked me to look into purchasing a heating mantle and quickfit so he can do distillation without a bunsen burner. Can any of you helpful people recommend some decent equipment

About as far away as possible. Southampton. Thanks anyway. Perhaps you can answer my other question. Is this normally done as a demo or could it be done in groups If you have enough sets.

karen b

COMMITTEE
It would depend on what he is intending to do. There is at least one A level required practical that we use the quickfit kit for. We are lucky enough to have about 18 sets.

Best price up one set and then ask how many he wants. I think at least one supplier does made up sets as well as individual pieces. They might work out cheaper

I have no idea. The teacher in question is a chemist so fully capable of doing it. Just wanted an idea if I'm pricing up one set or six.
It makes a difference when it comes to the heating mantle. If it's for a practical using a flammable chemical with a low boiling point (as is the case where we don't use bunsens) there are other ways of heating it. It may not be a big issue if it's 1 heating mantle but a set of 6 would set you back a bit!

Bummer that I can't help directly. You will find that you pretty much get what you pay for. Quickfit from Bibby should be the best in terms of resilience (I'm not sure if it's still a trademark of Pyrex/Corning) but some other options should provide "better value". Make sure that whatever you buy is clearly labelled as borosilicate. Mantles are something that we have had little success with, as they seem to fail rather frequently considering the amount of use they have. Recent purchases from Fisher seem to be more robust but that may be down to the students using them. I strongly suggest letting them cool completely before moving them after use.

Other things that will be useful: Joint clips (not to be used when bunsens are used for heating) PTFE joint sleeves are useful if you are doing things like refluxing with NaOH or other corrosives that love to attack ground glass joints.

Joint clips (not to be used when bunsens are used for heating)

Could you tell my teachers that please ?!

In response to the original question, we have an 'electrothermal' brand heating mantle which works fine, but hardly ever gets used. If teachers are doing a distillation that doesn't use a bunsen; they tend to use a hotplate with either sand bath or water bath.

If you do get one / some, keep them covered or in a cupboard, not on an open shelf. When I first started here ours had been on a top shelf uncovered for who-knows-how-long, and the STINK of burnt dust when I turned it on !!!

I always buy the own brand quickfit-style glassware, they seem to be pretty similar between all the companies. I usually get it from from Better Equipped; although prices seem to vary wildly so I always check every time, sometimes SciChem or SLS will be cheaper for a particular item on a particular day.

Perhaps you can answer my other question. Is this normally done as a demo or could it be done in groups If you have enough sets.
Our 6th form do it as a PAG and work on their own but we also have lower year groups that have it as a demo. One of the teachers has a lesson just letting them set it up so that the students get familiar with it as it can be a bit fiddly the first time they use it.

If you buy the sets then you get a lot of stuff that you will probably never use so you may be better just buying the basics individually depending how it prices up. If you go this route just check you buy all the same joint size.

If you see this post today then I am up by Gatwick Airport and have some larger stuff that we were going to get rid of which may be suitable if you were prepared to pay postage or have somebody going on holiday (haha!) anytime soon.

Other things that will be useful: Joint clips (not to be used when bunsens are used for heating) PTFE joint sleeves are useful if you are doing things like refluxing with NaOH or other corrosives that love to attack ground glass joints.
The teacher asking for said equipment is also the teacher who melted the joint clips whilst doing distillation.
Thanks everyone for your help. We are ks3 and ks4. So it looks like it would just be for demo only.
Didn't even realise you could do distillation with the mantles. Ive been a tech for three years and have only been told to set it up with bunsens but that's more to do with my senior not wanting to change her ways.
Also what is the difference between refluxing and distillation?

Didn't even realise you could do distillation with the mantles. Ive been a tech for three years and have only been told to set it up with bunsens but that's more to do with my senior not wanting to change her ways.

Mantles are safer for heating when using a flammable solvent, which is often (but not always) the case when carrying out refluxing or distillation.

Just discovered 19 NIB 27BU/M Bibby Sterilin quickfit kits. One or two are missing the (mercury) thermometer but I suppose that won't matter much to most. Yours for £10 each plus P&P.

I know this is an old post but I have something to add from my college's experience - sixth form chemistry. Having bought several heating mantles they found they couldn't use them all at the same time as a class because it overloaded the electric circuits. So one is used for demos but when it comes to class practicals they use a burner and water and small volumes of flammables. The building is not so old, but the circuits couldn't handle the heavy load of several heating mantles at the same time. So check with your estates team before splashing out on the equipment!