Healthy Eating

I know it's controversial and goes against what society tells us but if you're hating dieting and not getting any results - I'd look into health at every size :) there's so much scientific backing for it and can give you so much freedom.

If that doesn't appeal, I'd definitely recommend a proper macro calculator (I like Little Lyss Fitness' one because I weightlift alongside plenty of endurance exercise), it'll probably have you eating more than you thought you could! You can then set the goals from her macro calculator in My Fitness Pal or similar.

Im blaming meds and menopause too (possibly same meds as you too!) Cut down intake and trying what exercie I can manage, when I can= no weight change. Try to eat 2-3 veggie meals a week.
My meds aren't menopause meds... but it does make you wonder. very odd. I know the " you aren't eating enough" arguments, but I tried cutting down calories, no weight loss, so cut down a bit more, ditto, then a bit more, double ditto. I then get to baffled stage because I'm bloody starving, yes eating healthily with tons of veg that give me terrible reflux, and stay the same weight, drives you crazy.
I went to a dietician, well less said about that the better! We were all shown plastic ( toy) food, it was held up & we were asked, " can anyone tell me what this is?" :mad: So patronising, I wanted to stick her toy food where the sun doesn't shine!

What do you find hard? I’ve been veggie for 20 odd years and it’s sooo much easier now with accurate labelling. So it feels like it’s got easier to me. What are you struggling with?

1200 cal is quite low - if you’re active (who isn’t in our job?) or doing exercise you probably need more.

I like tracking my weight in Libra - you weigh daily and it tells you how many calories over ideal you’ve consumed and what your trend is (you can weigh less frequently but it doesn’t work as well)
1200 cal is quite low - if you’re active (who isn’t in our job?) or doing exercise you probably need more.

Really, any more & my weight piles on!!

I agree... your calorie intake is perhaps low enough to stall your metabolic rate and slow weight loss, but I'm no dietitian - just speaking from experience.

I'm veggie, coeliac and low thyroid and had a problem with weight loss... but basically I ate nowt. Now I'm on 1600 calories and 10,000 steps, at first I gained, but then it shifted at around a pound a week. I use My Fitness Pal, you put in all your details, it works out fat carbs and protein and then you track what you eat. No 'slice' of bread, cup of this or teaspoon of that - everything must be weighed. It does sound like a pain in the behind to weigh all of your food, but it's a necessary evil you get used to if you want to achieve results. Obvs you can't do it when going out for a meal, but unless it's a regular thing I don't see it as a problem and tend to guesswork those situations.
That's the app I have. I weigh everything now. tbh I leave scales on worktop & it becomes habit. Some restaurants have calories on menu. Obviously not fancy ones :laughing:
1600cals would make me pile it on! I do my 10,000 steps, I have my rescue Collie to walk & as she can't go off lead ( still, grrr) I have to walk with her.
A friend from years ago was similar & she paid privately to have her metabolic rate tested. It was stupidly low, despite the fact that she ran over 50 miles a week. She was a primary teacher & was on the go most of day too.
I think it's like our ex dietician teacher said, it's not as simple as calories in & out, you have to find what works for you.
Aren't bodies strange?

I know it's controversial and goes against what society tells us but if you're hating dieting and not getting any results - I'd look into health at every size :) there's so much scientific backing for it and can give you so much freedom.

If that doesn't appeal, I'd definitely recommend a proper macro calculator (I like Little Lyss Fitness' one because I weightlift alongside plenty of endurance exercise), it'll probably have you eating more than you thought you could! You can then set the goals from her macro calculator in My Fitness Pal or similar.
After damaging my back, lifting a few books is agony!! :rolleyes:
Shame as I used to enjoy weight training.

Anyway!! Enough about me!
How are you all feeling doing healthy eating? Anyone got their blood pressure down, or controlled diabetes/skin problems etc?

my meds aren't menopause ones either but for arthritis.
No idea re BP as rarely checked.
I think I may just try the smaller plate option instead now.
That's a good idea! Makes you think you have more :laughing:
Ahhh, yes, arthritis too, maybe, surprising that so many meds say weight gain as side effect.

Anyway!! Enough about me!
How are you all feeling doing healthy eating? Anyone got their blood pressure down, or controlled diabetes/skin problems etc?
just seen this post and thought id let you all in on something that happened to me taking cod liver oil tabs about two years ago.

So as we know, clo is supposed to be helpful for your joints, which is why i started taking it in the first place.
One tab a day (as opposed to the recommended two), and after about a month, my joints felt worse, and I felt like I was gaining weight to make the knees ache more. I occasionally get a bit of dermatitis on my neck and it started playing up. I just went on to research the side effects of clo and found out:
  • it causes weight gain, which affects your joints (!!)
  • it can enhance any skin conditions such as dermatitis or eczema
  • it can cause havoc with sleep patterns (which I suffer anyway but was made worse...)
needless to say I stopped taking the clo tabs and within a day or two, I lost the dermatitis, within a week my sleep patterns were back to normal (whatever they were) and then within 8 days, the weight was shifting and the joints felt massively better thank they were before the clo...
yes. bodies are strange and everyone is hugely different... :)

just seen this post and thought id let you all in on something that happened to me taking cod liver oil tabs about two years ago.

So as we know, clo is supposed to be helpful for your joints, which is why i started taking it in the first place.
One tab a day (as opposed to the recommended two), and after about a month, my joints felt worse, and I felt like I was gaining weight to make the knees ache more. I occasionally get a bit of dermatitis on my neck and it started playing up. I just went on to research the side effects of clo and found out:
  • it can cause havoc with sleep patterns (which I suffer anyway but was made worse...)
needless to say I stopped taking the clo tabs and within a day or two, I lost the dermatitis, within a week my sleep patterns were back to normal (whatever they were) and then within 8 days, the weight was shifting and the joints felt massively better thank they were before the clo...
Huh? I take CLO tabs every day too. Hmmm, may stop for a while :rolleyes:

Wow... my partner takes a few a day. He has eczema and has been suffering from blisters on his hands and sore knees. He's changed his diet, no chocolate, citrus... etc, but it makes me wonder if clo is the problem.

Wow... my partner takes a few a day. He has eczema and has been suffering from blisters on his hands and sore knees. He's changed his diet, no chocolate, citrus... etc, but it makes me wonder if clo is the problem.
I was genuinely shocked when I saw the side effects - its not very well known, as most people rave about clo (as did I when I started taking them).
Hope your partner can get the blisters, eczema and knees sorted. try removing the clo and see what happens. good luck with it - keep us updated :)