Healthy Eating

karen b

COMMITTEE
Carol Hobday Complete Slow Cooker Cookbook is one I dip into. I don’t know about calorie counts for any of the recipes, because I am not using it for that. It has a mix of mains and sides and desserts, including some nice veggie options.

labsleuth

COMMITTEE
Do you both follow specific recipes? Or just chuck things in?
TBH I just use one of the sachets you get from the supermarket, with tinned tomatoes and water. I use the extra lean 5% fat mince, because you don't get that horrible orange oil-slick and then we add onions, mushrooms, kidney beans and any bits of veg we have leftover - usually a courgette or some sweetcorn.

I usually just chuck stuff in, much to the despair of my partner. He has been on furlough, so doing most of the cooking, and was going to make chilli the other week so wanted to know the recipe. It is always mince, onions, kidney beans and passata. Along with, at other times not necessarily all together, cannellini beans (or other tinned beans), tomato puree, worcestershire sauce, cumin, coriander, paprika, chilli powder, garlic, fresh chilli, oregano, beef stock cube, and the kitchen sink :p
Sometimes I will fry the mince and onions first, sometimes I don't have time/forget/can't be bothered.
Always depends what is in the cupboard and gets tweaked until it tastes ok.

Anyone here use a slow cooker? I've had one for years that I use regularly for stews, but I'm after some inspiration on other things to try. Ideally healthy stuff though as my trousers are getting a little snug!
I make a lot of KETO meals & soups in my slow cooker.

I'm in favour of the chuck it all in method!!

If you're KETO/LC and keeping you carb intake down then 'calories' energy from fats aren't an issue as your not raising the fat storing hormone insulin.

1 kg Mushroom
2 shallots, or one small leek
250g Beef dripping
Rosemary, thyme, salt & pepper

Chuck it all in switch on cook 4 hrs and blend.

Variations 1 small bottle of red wine, or a large dollop of homemade pesto or splash of chilli

I watched a programme on this a while ago & they said that Rape seed & Olive oil are the best ones to cook with, apart from butter & lard.
Olive oil is fine BUT sorry rapeseed oil is man made [even cold pressed[ and high in Omega 6 oils, watch the video links

Olive oil is fine BUT sorry rapeseed oil is man made [even cold pressed[ and high in Omega 6 oils, watch the video links
Videos are tooo long for work time!
But I know they are man made. But I don't use oil very much at all, prefer to grill or bake as much as poss, so I'll risk it!

Anyone eating healthier to lose Lockdown Timber?
I've gone veggie, tried vegan but it was a step to far for me, I also always cook from scratch so I know what's in everything.
Cut down on sugar, hidden & otherwise, ( not cut out entirely)
I'm on 1200 Cals a day for past month - all logged on an app, literally everything that passes my lips except toothpaste!
Weight lost? Bugger all. Although I looked up side effects of one of my meds & it said " weight gain" :rolleyes:
Getting v despondent, but my sons reckon my body is weird ( charming!) and that it will realise what's happening at about week 8 & I'll start losing some "chub". fingers crossed.
AND for the record, being veggie is HARD!

Colly

Wobbler
I've gone veggie, tried vegan but it was a step to far for me, I also always cook from scratch so I know what's in everything.
I'm on 1200 Cals a day for past month - all logged on an app, literally everything that passes my lips except toothpaste!
Weight lost? Bugger all. Although I looked up side effects of one of my meds & it said " weight gain" :rolleyes:
Getting v despondent, but my sons reckon my body is weird ( charming!) and that it will realise what's happening at about week 8 & I'll start losing some "chub". fingers crossed.
I'm on 1200calories per day too and logging everything. I am losing weight but its slow. Have lost 22lbs in 3 months but I have had about 8 cheat days or weekends over those three months where I've gained a few back!The gains always come off again very quickly once I get back to 1200/day and it seems to boost my loses for a few days. So maybe you need a cheat day! I still have at least that much again to lose so I guess I better stick with it!
Cant do vegan or veggie although I don't eat a great deal of meat anyway. Good luck, I bet you feel better anyway for eating healthier!

What do you find hard? I’ve been veggie for 20 odd years and it’s sooo much easier now with accurate labelling. So it feels like it’s got easier to me. What are you struggling with?

1200 cal is quite low - if you’re active (who isn’t in our job?) or doing exercise you probably need more.

I like tracking my weight in Libra - you weigh daily and it tells you how many calories over ideal you’ve consumed and what your trend is (you can weigh less frequently but it doesn’t work as well)

I'm on 1200calories per day too and logging everything. I am losing weight but its slow. Have lost 22lbs in 3 months but I have had about 8 cheat days or weekends over those three months where I've gained a few back!The gains always come off again very quickly once I get back to 1200/day and it seems to boost my loses for a few days. So maybe you need a cheat day! I still have at least that much again to lose so I guess I better stick with it!
Cant do vegan or veggie although I don't eat a great deal of meat anyway. Good luck, I bet you feel better anyway for eating healthier!
To be honest, cutting out sugar made me feel dreadful for the first week & a half, shaky, sweating, nauseous. Felt far better for it after that though. Why does it taste so darn good when it's so bad for us? haven't succumbed to the cakes, biccies & sweets that are around though...amazingly!
I may have a cheat weekend.

What do you find hard? I’ve been veggie for 20 odd years and it’s sooo much easier now with accurate labelling. So it feels like it’s got easier to me. What are you struggling with?

1200 cal is quite low - if you’re active (who isn’t in our job?) or doing exercise you probably need more.

I like tracking my weight in Libra - you weigh daily and it tells you how many calories over ideal you’ve consumed and what your trend is (you can weigh less frequently but it doesn’t work as well)
I don't want to weigh every day as it's so blooming depressing to see the scale stay EXACTLY the same day after day!
I have an app that I'm logging everything on.
Labelling makes no odds to me as I'm not buying anything that requires an ingredients label.
I suppose I'd find it easier if I bought some ready made stuff.
I have to explain here that I hate cooking with an unusual passion, so having to THINK about what to cook & how to make new things is doing my fat little nut in! We, or rather now, my sons , have Hello Fresh for 3 days a week, so I'll maybe change that to veggie & it'll give me some new ideas.

I am trying to lose weight before I hit 60. Got 4 months to lose another 2 stone!!!! I'm down about 10lb in about 3/4 weeks, by cutting out processed snacks, having a lunch of raw veg and whole grain salad - no oil or anything on it, smaller evening meal and only drink wine on a Saturday (mainly!). I don't calorie count but I weigh daily, so I can be sure it's working - also checking blood pressure, as that needs to come down. It's working for me - so far. I can feel the difference and have more motivation and energy to do things.

I don't want to weigh every day as it's so blooming depressing to see the scale stay EXACTLY the same day after day!
I have an app that I'm logging everything on.
Labelling makes no odds to me as I'm not buying anything that requires an ingredients label.
I suppose I'd find it easier if I bought some ready made stuff.
I have to explain here that I hate cooking with an unusual passion, so having to THINK about what to cook & how to make new things is doing my fat little nut in! We, or rather now, my sons , have Hello Fresh for 3 days a week, so I'll maybe change that to veggie & it'll give me some new ideas.
Yes if you dislike cooking I can imagine doing everything from scratch would be tiresome. I don’t use a lot of preprepared stuff but I suppose it’s what you’re used to. If you want any recommendations do ask!

I find my daily weight doesn’t stay exactly the same so I’ve learnt to ignore the actual number and just look at the trend and calorie deficit values. But again what works for one doesn’t work for all.

I need to lose some timber as well (not just lockdown either), I could go largely veggie but 'im indoors is a confirmed carnivore. I'm not keen on cooking generally and the thought of doing 2 different sets of meals doesn't appeal.

Time to ditch the 'white carbs' for starters I think (bread, pasta, spuds, rice) and biscuits, desserts and cake.

Then go more 'Mediterranean' and see what happens.

Yes if you dislike cooking I can imagine doing everything from scratch would be tiresome. I don’t use a lot of preprepared stuff but I suppose it’s what you’re used to. If you want any recommendations do ask!

I find my daily weight doesn’t stay exactly the same so I’ve learnt to ignore the actual number and just look at the trend and calorie deficit values. But again what works for one doesn’t work for all.

I've always cooked entirely from scratch, which is a bit daft as I don't like cooking! :rolleyes: I definitely don't use preprepared stuff.
I used to be very slim until the dreaded menopause!
Then came duffed up knees, 6 months off work with 5 herniated discs, a couple op's for various things, lots of medication, & before you know it the weight has crept up despite limiting calories.
We had an Ex NHS senior dietician train here a couple of years ago, I've asked her for advice, BUT she said it's not as simple for some people as calories in/calories out, she said she's known patients that are on restricted diet in hospital & they still don't lose weight! That cheered me up no end :laughing:
I'm going to keep going though as I do actually feel better, I started this in the first place to see if it makes a difference to my arthritis.
Thanks for offer of veggie advice!:love: I might creep back to fish though as I miss that, I was never a big meat eater

I need to lose some timber as well (not just lockdown either), I could go largely veggie but 'im indoors is a confirmed carnivore. I'm not keen on cooking generally and the thought of doing 2 different sets of meals doesn't appeal.

Time to ditch the 'white carbs' for starters I think (bread, pasta, spuds, rice) and biscuits, desserts and cake.

Then go more 'Mediterranean' and see what happens.
I honestly feel a lot better after the initial withdrawal from white carbs.

One of my sons wants more veggie meals, the other is committed carnivore, I usually add meat to whatever veggie dish I'm having, or on Hello Fresh Days, they cook their own food. Yay, that was whole point of ordering that in first place, to get them to cook, it's worked.;)
One of the teachers here has a hubby that simply refused to cook anything, she did the Hello Fresh for same reason as me, she says it's so nice that she can leave him to it a couple of days a week. He can't complain now that he can't find anything. :laughing:

Downloaded libra thanks. First weight entry done this morning.

I've been veggie for 35 years. At first it is hard but there are now some really good meat free options now, sausages, meatless meatballs and chicken alternatives.

I tend to batch cook over the weekend and freeze dishes then when you have limited time just grab a tub, defrost, microwave and dinner is served.
My favourite go to quick meal is courgette rattattoui - sliced onions, garlic, courgettes and peppers in olive oil, add tin toms and some origano, cook til tender, about 20 mins goes well with pasta, gnocci or on its own

I agree... your calorie intake is perhaps low enough to stall your metabolic rate and slow weight loss, but I'm no dietitian - just speaking from experience.

I'm veggie, coeliac and low thyroid and had a problem with weight loss... but basically I ate nowt. Now I'm on 1600 calories and 10,000 steps, at first I gained, but then it shifted at around a pound a week. I use My Fitness Pal, you put in all your details, it works out fat carbs and protein and then you track what you eat. No 'slice' of bread, cup of this or teaspoon of that - everything must be weighed. It does sound like a pain in the behind to weigh all of your food, but it's a necessary evil you get used to if you want to achieve results. Obvs you can't do it when going out for a meal, but unless it's a regular thing I don't see it as a problem and tend to guesswork those situations.