Has anyone set-off (lit !) a bag containing hydrogen in a lab ? Also, any suggestion, of exciting demos of combustion ? Thanks

Has anyone set-off (lit !) a bag containing hydrogen in a lab ? Also, any suggestion, of exciting demos of combustion ? Thanks

just done the hydrogen balloon today, and will be doing the same tomorrow morning, that will be the 6th time in a week.

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
Custard power (or flour or icing sugar) in a tin - tin with hole in side tube glued in connect to bicycle pump and blow powder over lit candle inside tin - blows lid off - great to demo energy in food

The soap bubble bursting is good. Makes quiet a bang if you can get a big bubble, also the town gas soa bubble set on fire in some ones hand very impressive.

karen b

COMMITTEE
Somewhere there is a practical with pipettes bulbs filled with a hydrogen oxygen mix and lit with a piezo sparkler to launch them across the room

Custard power (or flour or icing sugar) in a tin - tin with hole in side tube glued in connect to bicycle pump and blow powder over lit candle inside tin - blows lid off - great to demo energy in food
This always reminds me of the time they showed it on QI and Stephen Fry said 'are you ready for me to pump my custard?' :eek::laughing:

karen b

COMMITTEE
I used to have a list of various practicals that came under the title combustion. I think most of them have been mentioned here. I‘m not sure if I still have my list any more as the IT department transferred files from 365 to Teams, but they may not have transferred everything. Since we were on furlough at the time there wasn’t the opportunity to check

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
How do you keep hydrogen in a bag? We do balloons of it and ours all have sticker animals on them :D
If you haven't a Hydrogen cylinder you can fill balloons using this method after filling a pop bottle by downward displacement
To fill balloons with hydrogen using the RSC method - I make the H2 by reacting zinc or magnesium with sulphuric acid or Hydrochloric acid and collecting in a 3L fizzy drinks bottle (Iceland sell them that size) - 2L isn't quite big enough to fill a standard sized balloon.
upload_2019-10-10_15-0-33.png

I then fill balloons using the water pressure from the cold tap
upload_2019-10-10_15-1-48.png

1605790678473.png

Zn granules and H2SO4 in a conical flask. Stretch balloon over neck and allow to expand. Only use Peters method if I want to make a mix of H2/O2.

If you have a one way valve (where my hand is) and allow some to escape (to vent any air) then connect - no O2 then only H2
The bottle can be partially filled with one gas, sealed and then the other introduced. Really straight forward. :cool: Then using water pressure the gasses are forced into the balloon. ;)

If you only require H2 my conical flask cuts out the middle man as such. A simplified procedure.