Half Term projects anyone?

Sounds like a lovely half term - animals, books and knitting, what more do you need :)

I read all the Harry Potter books over the summer, after reading the first two when they came out and wondering what all the fuss was about and giving up. I enjoyed them more this time !

Can we see photos of the critters ?! I was wondering the other day how Vanya is getting on.
Vanya's huge! She shed her skin yesterday. I'll try and get some good photos tonight :)

I did some home organising and played lots of Animal Crossing & Mario Kart Home Circuit on my switch. I did a DIY on a S thing I have and really proud of how well it has come out.

Also the most important one - catching up on sleep
Animal crossing is amazing I got it with my switch back in september when I changed phone contracts and honestly its been so relaxing

Do you 'Do' them up?
Other half has a train set and he cleans up battered locos.
I do indeed! the one in the pic is about 40 years old and was my uncles, doesnt look as good as the ones they make nowadays but with some weathering it looks fab haha

Reactions: kaj
My halfterm and lockdown project has been acting far older than my age suggests and playing with model trains :p

View attachment 5646
Playing trains is a great introduction to science. (as well as fun!) You will learn about electricity, energy, friction, bit of engineering, and geometry. In addition shunting problems and point work will give you a good logic workout. A shame most kids see the the world through the "phone" window.
For younger kids, and me, an older kid, I'd recommend the tomy track. Very forgiving geometry, no electrical problems as each loco has its own battery. Cheap track on ebay to extend etc. I've got - oops my twins have miles of it and we had great fun moving lego blocks from one bedroom to the "building site" on the stairs, and then taking the "rubble" back when finished. They are now 19 and also see the world through the "phone" window. Me, I'm a dublo 3 railer.

Playing trains is a great introduction to science. (as well as fun!) You will learn about electricity, energy, friction, bit of engineering, and geometry. In addition shunting problems and point work will give you a good logic workout. A shame most kids see the the world through the "phone" window.
For younger kids, and me, an older kid, I'd recommend the tomy track. Very forgiving geometry, no electrical problems as each loco has its own battery. Cheap track on ebay to extend etc. I've got - oops my twins have miles of it and we had great fun moving lego blocks from one bedroom to the "building site" on the stairs, and then taking the "rubble" back when finished. They are now 19 and also see the world through the "phone" window. Me, I'm a dublo 3 railer.
Awesome! I still have a lot of Tomy track from when I was a kid. Also have ERTL die cast Thomas and Friends models somewhere too, but now I'm working on my 'adult' layout haha.

And yep totally agree its a great intro to STEM! Last night I took delivery of some books from my ebay shopping spree including a British Railways Diesel handbook containing tonnes of gorgeous pictures and diagrams of cross sections and wiring diagrams etc. Also a steam drivers handbook from 1941 printed for LMS drivers. Has all sorts in it including lovely illustrations of the different styles of valve-gear.

Awesome! I still have a lot of Tomy track from when I was a kid. Also have ERTL die cast Thomas and Friends models somewhere too, but now I'm working on my 'adult' layout haha.

And yep totally agree its a great intro to STEM! Last night I took delivery of some books from my ebay shopping spree including a British Railways Diesel handbook containing tonnes of gorgeous pictures and diagrams of cross sections and wiring diagrams etc. Also a steam drivers handbook from 1941 printed for LMS drivers. Has all sorts in it including lovely illustrations of the different styles of valve-gear.
I picked up a book on the Leader loco at a flea market. Ummed and Ahhed and finally parted with my £2. I had no knowledge of it at all and since then I've read and re read it. Such good value.

I picked up a book on the Leader loco at a flea market. Ummed and Ahhed and finally parted with my £2. I had no knowledge of it at all and since then I've read and re read it. Such good value.
oh what book is it? I love the Leader and Bullieds other madcap inventions including an Irish version of the same concept that ran on peat haha

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
Great weathering on the loco.

I'll be going to work every day through the hols as I need to clear some stuff out and complete my work on the handover to my successor. I've been working on technician notes and I have 10/15 experiments or demos to set up and photograph. Plus I will be doing some annual tests as I'm the only one who has the experience, steam engine, rubens' tube and ionising sources.