Groundhog Covid

Yep definitely touch as much wood as possible. We now have more than 50 pupils off plus 2 vaccinated staff who have caught it. There also seems to be a vomiting bug around.
The bug seems to have hit here today, 5 kids so far vomiting or being sent home feeling very sick. The one thing i cant deal with :sick:

We have 40+ Year 8's isolating and 1 confirmed case currently, bubbles are breaking down, kids mixing as pre-Covid before and after school, at break and lunchtime.
Mask wearing is becoming patchy and random with some staff (esp. SLT) not wearing them correctly, don't get me started on the pupils not wearing them properly......
Funnily enough, it's SLT here that are bad at wearing masks. Yet they send out emails to staff to remind kids!
Saw one inches from a kid shouting in his face :rolleyes: :(

I heard yesterday that over half the students here are now isolating due to being close contacts. Cases in every year group. I still haven't had my jab (none of the places doing Pfizer round here seem to have any appointments after 5pm or at the weekend - really sensible for the under 40's ...) so I'm getting quite scared again.
Go in work time they have to let you

We still have bubbles here, no wearing of masks by students and all staff apart from myself and D.T Tech, R rate is rising here and we are expected to have Year 5's and their parents in .

Cases here seem to have calmed down again now after a huge rise just before May half term. Luckily this rise meant we have kept students wearing masks, I don't know how I would have coped otherwise!
Thank goodness "freedom day" was pushed back, I get the train in to work and it's bad enough at the best of times, if masks and social distancing were stopped officially I dread to think what it would be like. Feel like such a misery for not wanting everything back to "normal" yet, but until I (and most other people) am fully vaccinated I won't feel comfortable.

Cases rising here, which is a shame as we generally missed the worse of the first two waves. Unfortunately, our young ESOL students got hit last week and are unable to understand that "self isolate at home" means don't leave your house, never mind enter the college...

Second dose next week...

I heard yesterday that over half the students here are now isolating due to being close contacts. Cases in every year group. I still haven't had my jab (none of the places doing Pfizer round here seem to have any appointments after 5pm or at the weekend - really sensible for the under 40's ...) so I'm getting quite scared again.
Our head said as long as it didn't need cover.

Hearing that some folks aren't being allowed out to get their jabs during work hours is depressing.

Considering the fact there is no upcoming exam practicals to prepare for, and since its nearing the end of term especially.. I can think of no conceivably justifiable reason why any technician should be kept from getting their jab!!

As long as places like GP's, Dentists, vaccine centers continue to only operate during usual work hours (9-5 or whatever) then its inexcusable for anyone to be expected to not be taking time off to attend appointments??

If teachers can get time off and get covered etc, then surely a technician out for half a day or a few days max isn't going to cause havoc.

And if they try and say we are too important to the functioning of the science department to be let out to get a jab, then we should use that same argument to fight for higher wages and respect ;)

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
I don't see how an employer can prevent you from going for your jab. It is a medical procedure, don't ask just tell them you won't be there. Ridiculous behaviour on the part of the school management, who do they think they are? You aren't a chattel, you are allowed to go for a medical procedure.

clairelucas

COMMITTEE
Admittedly, having said 'surely hours must be a little flexible to accommodate..' apologies for myself being patronising and all judgey, but when I had my 1st jab, (after school hours) I was reminded from my supervisor (or whatever you call the one you tell re hours off etc..) that jabs should be only taken outside of my working hours... Just in case I had been planning on having it during school time. So I have no room to talk here either..
Maybe because we do have lots of out of hours vaccine stations available here..?

I guess if you can just walk in at any time, or even know that you can book a time after school that's an understandable caveat. But for me personally - and I'm sure others too - I had to book an earlier time slot, and they are limited and fairly inflexible. Fortunately I was able to book one for around 16:20, but I still had to close down the lab a little early to make it in time. When we're at the mercy of the vaccine station diary, some of us will get the short straw and only get a slot during work hours. It's objecting to this scenario that I find objectionable.

I'm really surprised that some schools aren't doing all they can to get their staff vaccinated and quickly. Mine were really good about it and gave me the day out to have jab 2, no questions asked (of course I didn't use it because they rescheduled me to a Sunday, but even when I changed it the person in charge of staff absences made a little note that I might be absent on Monday so that they would be prepared if I was as ill as I was with jab 1 and told me not to worry if I was too poorly to come in).

That anywhere is being less than 100% supportive of staff trying to protect themselves and others when there is a GLOBAL PANDEMIC is nothing short of appalling.

I booked both mine as soon as those 50-59 could book them (late Feb?) and went for 15 mins after work finish time so there could be no comeback. Staff here are 'discouraged' from booking medical appointments during the school day.

I possibly could go during school time, but getting permission to have any time off during school hours requires going cap in hand to the headteacher (after arranging a time via his PA, as he insists on seeing you face to face) to explain why you need the appointment and why it can't be at any other time. He's never said no, but I still hate doing it. We haven't been given any indication that having time off for the covid jab would be any different.

I looked again yesterday and managed to get an after school appointment in a couple of weeks (none available before that at any time of day in places I can get to).

Last edited:
I booked both mine as soon as those 50-59 could book them (late Feb?) and went for 15 mins after work finish time so there could be no comeback. Staff here are 'discouraged' from booking medical appointments during the school day.
The same is true at my and no doubt most other schools.

Under normal circumstances.

As we are now 16 months into a pandemic with 128,000 deaths and the delta variant rampaging despite the vaccine, you would think, as Emma said, that they would be more supportive, and understand the dire, urgent need for these vaccines. That some don't... well, Emma said it perfectly. Appalling is the exact right word for it.

I've always informed the HOD and science teachers I will be going foe appointments. Never informed anybody else and just signed out of school. Never any comeback. What they don't know about the cant kick up a fuss.
This is where having a good HOD helps. You scratch my back and I will scratch yours. All very flexible here.
I do feel for those of you who have issue that make your job harder than it should be.

I feel lucky my first was on a Sunday and managed to get my second before work, although did tell them I may be late (I wasn't). My children have had to book jabs around my hours as they don't drive and their centre (Pfizer) is ridiculous to access via reduced public transport. I suppose the Gov assumes all those under 30 drive.