Groundhog Covid

karen b

COMMITTEE
Year 10 all out after a positive case last week a couple of days after a “snogfest” of a party (about 50 party goers from three schools). A few more positive cases in that year group over the weekend.

Year 8 has a group out that are all in the same hockey club.

Cases rising locally in the town with surge testing in one council ward, and targeted leaflets about getting the vaccine.

But we can still take some Year 12 students to a village primary school for a science day. “Wear your mask, keep your distance. What is the problem?” Two of the staff (I am one) said we didn’t want to go any more

We've got kids out again and a confirmed case in y9 after a pretty good run. :/

I've had my jabs now so not as worried as I would have been six months ago but it's still a downer.

I heard yesterday that over half the students here are now isolating due to being close contacts. Cases in every year group. I still haven't had my jab (none of the places doing Pfizer round here seem to have any appointments after 5pm or at the weekend - really sensible for the under 40's ...) so I'm getting quite scared again.

I heard yesterday that over half the students here are now isolating due to being close contacts. Cases in every year group. I still haven't had my jab (none of the places doing Pfizer round here seem to have any appointments after 5pm or at the weekend - really sensible for the under 40's ...) so I'm getting quite scared again.
Surely you can go in work time, as work is putting you at risk?

I agree with KayR. This is one thing you should prioritise. Speak to someone to book an appointment, and book a planned absence. Only an absolute swine of a principal would refuse you getting this vaccine as soon as possible.
We've had plenty of people who've had their vaccine during work hours as those were the only appointments available. I think it's no different for if you had to leave work for a hospital appointment - you try to get it to affect work as little as possible but if you have to be out for a bit that's how it goes!

We seem fine at the moment, however, we are a 'tourist' town and have two huge holiday parks which are currently bursting with folk. There are whole families from who knows where traipsing around the supermarkets from these parks. One of the establishments in town have already been closed because of a holidaymaker testing positive. Apparently they were around town on a Saturday night, which is the busiest time... and Lord knows how many other places they visited. The warning to folk who might be affected went out on social media...

We are having transition day soon, and apparently it will be fine for kids from other schools to enter our site... despite having both jabs I'm staying well away and in prep.

clairelucas

COMMITTEE
I assume my hours are my hours- as long as I work them, its in their own interest for me to work them out for the best way I can do my job. If I have to come in early to do something in particular, or finish late, then no-one is going to complain. If I take a long lunchbreak, but more usefully finish later too, no-one should have an issue. The NHS app keeps beeping with places with drop-in clinics for the jab- would that work/

karen b

COMMITTEE
For me, yup definitely feeling meh about the whole thing now, it's a right drag but I'm weirdly also not sure how much I'm looking forward to a return to 'reality' now.
The few times when things have opened up, I'm finding myself disappointed with my fellow humans and not really enjoying being around them..

Any desert islands going cheap anywhere..? :D
I am feeling a bit like this.

I am worried I don’t know if I can cope with “normal” any more. I have had both vaccines now but still feel nervous. I don’t want to be ill, but more importantly I don’t want to make anyone else ill. I need to find a way to get things into perspective

Carol Taylor

Footsore
End of term next week so roll on! I'm desperate to get out even though we missed almost a whole term. I get so cross but also despondent when over 20,000 football "fans" are allowed to travel to London despite not being able to go to the match. Not even any attempt to social distance. Strangely though, travel is now banned from Scotland to the Manchester area. But it was ok to let half of Scotland visit London! I had a trip planned to London to visit my daughter - first time since September! The train company had the nerve to ask if I wanted to cancel due to busy trains due to the football :mad::mad: No!!!! Football is a game. Seeing my daughter isn't! I feel like the world has actually gone mad! Don't even get me started on not being able to go to America to see my son :crying::crying: It's never going to happen whilst this slack attitude to the virus is still ongoing. I fully appreciate people's disappointments due to Covid but families not being able to see each other is so depressing when all around people are just behaving as if everything is fine.
The non-ticket fans were told they couldn't go but went anyway, like all the holidaymakers going overseas for non-essential reasons.

Carol Taylor

Footsore
We are lucky, not had a single case since quite a while before xmas *touch wood*
Yep definitely touch as much wood as possible. We now have more than 50 pupils off plus 2 vaccinated staff who have caught it. There also seems to be a vomiting bug around.

We're pretty flexible here on taking time out for medical appointments and the like so quite a lot of staff have been getting vaccinated during work hours. I was able to get my first appointment on a bank holiday, but that's because it was just the first day available to me and wasn't planned that way. My second dose is one morning next week so I'll go to that then come into work late.

I'm not feeling to bad about things at the moment, but my day to day life is pretty much back to normal. Its the extra stuff that's not like holidays, concerts, theatre, etc. I've got a holiday to America booked for the summer that we still don't know if we'll be able to go on. If things don't improve we'll be rescheduling it for the fourth time. At the moment there are rumours the USA may move to the amber list, but the USA still won't let UK tourists in anyway. I've got a summer concert booked that should go ahead as its outside, but my theatre trip has been rescheduled to 2022.

I am feeling a bit like this.

I am worried I don’t know if I can cope with “normal” any more. I have had both vaccines now but still feel nervous. I don’t want to be ill, but more importantly I don’t want to make anyone else ill. I need to find a way to get things into perspective
Yeah, I can't work out whether people have become less considerate or I have become less patient and tolerant.
I'm pretty sure people are worse but if the choice is that either everybody has changed or I have, I guess it's more likely I have. :D

We've had plenty of people who've had their vaccine during work hours as those were the only appointments available. I think it's no different for if you had to leave work for a hospital appointment - you try to get it to affect work as little as possible but if you have to be out for a bit that's how it goes!
Same. Mine second is on Monday so late start. I’ll catch the hours up and the work will be done.

We have a few +ve cases in yr 7 with 2 x classes isolating. Getting fed up with it all now. Around the area no-one is masked, distancing or anything.

We have 40+ Year 8's isolating and 1 confirmed case currently, bubbles are breaking down, kids mixing as pre-Covid before and after school, at break and lunchtime.
Mask wearing is becoming patchy and random with some staff (esp. SLT) not wearing them correctly, don't get me started on the pupils not wearing them properly......

We have 40+ Year 8's isolating and 1 confirmed case currently, bubbles are breaking down, kids mixing as pre-Covid before and after school, at break and lunchtime.
Mask wearing is becoming patchy and random with some staff (esp. SLT) not wearing them correctly, don't get me started on the pupils not wearing them properly......
Pupils not wearing them now, only staff and then only in the corridors. And some not even then. Bubbles gone, one case in yr7 and we're back to zooming.

They are doing three days of walk-ins at the vaccination centre (20 miles away) and staff have been allowed to go in work time. Not sure how it was advertised but apparantly any due a second dose and over the 8 weeks can also attend.

Everyone was allowed to stop wearing masks after Easter here. Since then we had one day with a bubble out until a negative PCR came back for the student that caused that, but no other cases. However, I am still slightly concerned that despite a reminder around the whole Academy Trust about COVID rules (including wearing masks in corridors/common areas), apparently our Head has overruled this and said we don't need to bother.