Gratnell tray dividers

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
A tip I got from John Ellis, former Physics advisor at CLEAPSS was to make dividers for the Gratnell trays.

We got ours made by our D&T dept on their laser cutter from 3mm ply. They slot together to divide a tray into 15 compartments which means we can put out a class set of smaller items then tell at a glance if we got them all back. Works well for prisms, lenses, stopwatches, mass hangers and masses, anything that fits. The trays will still stack with the dividers fitted or the they can be removed and stored flat.

I use marg tubs quite a lot;
8 will just fit in a G-tray & it's useful to be able to remove them.
Good for storing or for issuing 'just enough' components, eg Molymod
I also use those long containers from when I get flat mushrooms.
The strong ones are also good for sets of small bench bottles on a shelf.
Trying to cut down on buying in plastic, but at least they're getting a second use.
Gratnell's inserts just seem to waste so much space !

I'm definitely inspired to go through the trays to see which would work better with your excellent suggestion... :brain::hazard:
There's at least 1 tray of glassware that isn't as stable as I'd like !
Presumably, the ply lengths have half-depth notches which are the same width as the strips themselves to interlock ?
And are they full tray-depth but strong enough, or did you have yours made no higher than the stacking ledge ?

A tip I got from John Ellis, former Physics advisor at CLEAPSS was to make dividers for the Gratnell trays.

We got ours made by our D&T dept on their laser cutter from 3mm ply. They slot together to divide a tray into 15 compartments which means we can put out a class set of smaller items then tell at a glance if we got them all back. Works well for prisms, lenses, stopwatches, mass hangers and masses, anything that fits. The trays will still stack with the dividers fitted or the they can be removed and stored flat.
I don't suppose you have the plan for these? I do have a tape measure but if you've already done the work... :)