GP data grab

Some of you probably already heard about this, but for those who didn't I thought it's worth bringing up. Especially that the deadline to opt-out is 23th of June (so in 2 weeks).

If you are not happy with your medical data fuelling big data and ending up in the hands of commercial entities you may want to fill in the form and email/hand it at your GP practice.

Attachments

• Type_1_opt-out_letter.docx
    16.9 KB · Views: 35
I believe after a little backlash (should be a big backlash but they're hoping no one knows about it) they've now delayed the deadline to opt out to the week before the 1st September but still worth getting it done asap if you want to :)

I don't object to the data being used.
I suppose I do object, depending on what is being used for. I wouldn't want sensitive info like DOB and address to be used to clean my account :p
I exaggerate here, but only slightly.

I would have less qualms if it was anonymised and only used for research.
As it stands your data is assigned a code to give it a guise of anonymity, but it can be 'un-anonymised' at whim.
Also it very much looks like a big data compilation that will inevitably end up with commercial entities.

And once you are included in this big data package the cat is out of the bag. Opting out will still be possible but will be meaningless at that point.

I believe after a little backlash (should be a big backlash but they're hoping no one knows about it) they've now delayed the deadline to opt out to the week before the 1st September but still worth getting it done asap if you want to :)

To be honest I'm very confused about that part. When I was looking for info online right (right after the story aired on BBC) I found two different opt-out dates, 30th Sep and 23th Jun.
It looked to me that there are 2 different data opt-outs. 30th Sep one can be done online. For the 23th Jun one you have to fill in the form.

Some of you probably already heard about this, but for those who didn't I thought it's worth bringing up. Especially that the deadline to opt-out is 23th of June (so in 2 weeks).

If you are not happy with your medical data fuelling big data and ending up in the hands of commercial entities you may want to fill in the form and email/hand it at your GP practice.
I opted out on the NHS website, is it the same?

labsleuth

COMMITTEE
I've read that you can do an online opt-out for hospital data and then need to fill a form in and email/post it to your GP.

I'm not sure it is to be honest as there seem to be 2 different deadlines.

To be on the safe side I did both. (link to the NHS website)

The form I attached is something that took me a while to dig out and I wasn't sure it was the correct one, but as my GP is literally 5min walk away I popped in there and they handed me exactly the same thing.
So you can just fill it in and email it to your GP if you don't have the time to go in person.

I feel that they deliberately make it more confusing & inconvenient for people :/

I'm not sure it is to be honest as there seem to be 2 different deadlines.

To be on the safe side I did both. (link to the NHS website)

The form I attached is something that took me a while to dig out and I wasn't sure it was the correct one, but as my GP is literally 5min walk away I popped in there and they handed me exactly the same thing.
So you can just fill it in and email it to your GP if you don't have the time to go in person.

I feel that they deliberately make it more confusing & inconvenient for people :/
just did the contact us on the GP site, they should have an opt out there really.

In principle I love the idea of my data being easily accessible in an emergency. In reality I don't trust our government not to sell our data :/

In principle I love the idea of my data being easily accessible in an emergency. In reality I don't trust our government not to sell our data :/
it's not about storing it centrally, it's sharing it with research companies.

Isn't that for non GP data, such as hospital data???
the GP sent me this link.

From what I understand, the September deadline/online form one is for stopping your data being shared for studies etc, and the June deadline/paper form is to stop it becoming more readily available to anyone claiming to want it for research. However, it seems the backlash against the June deadline has pushed it to September too.

I've been in some other conversations about this recently, of which the main takeaway I got was "If they are making it deliberately unclear and hard to opt-out of, there must be more than research motivating the data grab". This has caused quite a lot of personal level anxiety too for people who don't want to risk data around gender etc. being made publicly available and out of their control.

The idea I've seen floating around (and this is purely speculation) is that, since once your data is out there you can't get rid of it, after a few months the terms will change and the data will be sold off as part of a US trade deal. I do want to emphasise that this is based off no specific evidence and is just one level of suspicion I have seen making the rounds.

From what I understand, the September deadline/online form one is for stopping your data being shared for studies etc, and the June deadline/paper form is to stop it becoming more readily available to anyone claiming to want it for research. However, it seems the backlash against the June deadline has pushed it to September too.

I've been in some other conversations about this recently, of which the main takeaway I got was "If they are making it deliberately unclear and hard to opt-out of, there must be more than research motivating the data grab". This has caused quite a lot of personal level anxiety too for people who don't want to risk data around gender etc. being made publicly available and out of their control.

The idea I've seen floating around (and this is purely speculation) is that, since once your data is out there you can't get rid of it, after a few months the terms will change and the data will be sold off as part of a US trade deal. I do want to emphasise that this is based off no specific evidence and is just one level of suspicion I have seen making the rounds.

Thank you for this Annie your comment clarified it for me. As much as it can be clarified anyway.
It seems to have been made deliberately confusing, which makes me think there is something underhanded about it :/

And now, with the deadline of the June one pushed into September, we will have TWO different opt-out deadlines in September. Which makes me think someone is counting on people missing one. And the one most likely to be ignored is the one people can't easily compete online, need to fill in a form and send it to their GP (aka the commercial data grab one). How convenient...

It just really sits badly with me how it all lines up with privatising NHS in not so distant future...
Especially if you add effect of the pandemic on the NHS and a desperate need of a trade deal with the USA...

It just really sits badly with me how it all lines up with privatising NHS in not so distant future...
Especially if you add effect of the pandemic on the NHS and a desperate need of a trade deal with the USA...
This is definitely what's happening - they are already doing it. Some GP practices, transport and services (such as Pathology, where I've got 27 years experience) are already sold or been packaged ready for sale. People don't notice, because it says NHS, but if you look closely, it often says - 'working with the' in smaller letters.

This is definitely what's happening - they are already doing it. Some GP practices, transport and services (such as Pathology, where I've got 27 years experience) are already sold or been packaged ready for sale. People don't notice, because it says NHS, but if you look closely, it often says - 'working with the' in smaller letters.
The most misleading one in my opinion is that NHS digital isn't actually part of the NHS.