Going into industry to avoid being 'pigeon holed'?

Afternoon all,

I have been 'techin for just over 2 years, and I am very happy with the school I am currently in. I have actually found a tech job that actually pays well, and has a great senior tech!

Having aid this, I have a bit of a dilemma. I kind of feel that it may be advantageous to go for positions in industry as I am quite scared that I may get 'pigeon holed' into this role. Don't get me wrong, I love what I do, but as a sole provider far away from retirement, I find it very concerning just how badly technicians are paid, and it kind of seems that this role suits people who may be mums or semi retired (perhaps this perception has come about due to my previous limited experience in schools). Whilst I may be happy with the pay at the school I am now, once I come off the agency after a year, the pay won't be as great (not to mention I don't get paid on the half terms).

The role I am being interviewed has holiday pay (apparently you get a holiday for your birthday!), and opportunities for progression.

Do you feel sometimes it is good to gain new experiences that might be beneficial later in life?

In a bit of a pickle!

Yes, always keep your options open. Some school technicians jobs are full time (mine is full time) and so the wages are ok. Some university technician jobs pay more than schools. You can side step into industry laboratory/technician jobs. I actually came from the photographic industry to work in a school. Keep an open mind and look to where you can transfer your skills and do not be put off by elaborate job descriptions.

Yes, always keep your options open. Some school technicians jobs are full time (mine is full time) and so the wages are ok. Some university technician jobs pay more than schools. You can side step into industry laboratory/technician jobs. I actually came from the photographic industry to work in a school. Keep an open mind and look to where you can transfer your skills and do not be put off by elaborate job descriptions.
If I’d been put off by the job description I doubt I would have applied!

There isn't much progression within schools for science technicians, unless you want to go into teaching, then it gives you a good insight into how school science departments operate. I like the school holidays and I walk to work so it suits me. It really just depends on your goals.