New 2020/21 E-Catalogue and back to school offers worth £100 from S&C SciChem

Full Time or Term Time?

Full Time or Term Time?

• Total voters
How many of you are Full Time, Part-Time, or Term-Time Only? I myself was hired to be term-time only, and I was curious if that is more the norm, or if it's more usual to be taken on full time, particularly interested in hearing from other Senior Techs. I for one kinda like having the school holidays off. :cool:

Our senior tech is full time the rest of us term time only. I for one haven't got the foggiest what he could possibly be doing during the hols we're hardly busy at the min anyway!

Irene

Irene
I class myself as a Senior tech as I'm a lone technician. I do majority of the things a Senior does, there's nobody in to tell what to do except teachers. It's hard going for TTO.

Paul Murphy

COMMITTEE
I am currently, full time, all year round senior tech and there are two of us in the dept, the other tech being TTO. I suspect when both of us retires in three years time (with in months of each other), the post of senior will go and at best there will be 2 TTO techs.

Term Time here. I have held a full time position, however much prefer term time only. Having work through the term with teachers and students it can be very tiring. Looking forward to half term and end of terms and having time off is so much appreciated. Especially as I am getting older.

There are a couple of missing options, some may be term time only plus 5 to cover inset and TTO plus 10 to cover inset and 5 days in the holidays

I had no idea that those were a thing. I always just went in for Inset days anyway, and pop in of my own will during holidays sometimes. I'll see if I can edit the poll to add those.

I had no idea that those were a thing. I always just went in for Inset days anyway, and pop in of my own will during holidays sometimes. I'll see if I can edit the poll to add those.
If you're TTO you won't be getting paid for the inset days as it only covers the 190 (I think) days students are required to attend
Lots of places do TTO+5 purely to cover the inset as they realised we need CPD as much as teaching staff :)

I'm 40wks so term time +inset days plus 5 days. Always manage to cover 5 extra days with extra hours worked during term time.

Term time(Well actually i get paid 48.75 weeks due to long service) plus 5 inset plus 10 days throughout academic year.
Was FT at my old place but got paid less (even in todays prices) compared to the hours and i work now.
Work that one out!

karen b

COMMITTEE
Three of us, including the senior, are term time plus up to 10 days. Another tech, for some reason, is on term time only.

It was only realised this summer that she had a different contract when she was not allowed to start work in the last week of the holidays to help set up for the new academic year.

Term time(Well actually i get paid 48.75 weeks due to long service) plus 5 inset plus 10 days throughout academic year.
Was FT at my old place but got paid less (even in todays prices) compared to the hours and i work now.
Work that one out!
Same here, I was full time and then we had a support staff restructure and went to term time plus 10 days, but then we had job evaluation for single status and now I earn much more than I did when I was full time!